Page 3 of 5

I got my phone from my pants pocket to find a text from my mom telling me I should bring my boyfriend for dinner. Skipping past that I find our conversation and start typing. Once I was finished the text reads Hey, I don't really think this relationship is working for me. We should see other people. Please don't be mad! I turned my phone towards Damien for his approval.

"I personally think it's too nice, but if you think it's fine, then send it." He said with a serious expression on his face. So I did it. I hit the send button. It felt like one-hundred pounds were lifted from my back. Until I got a text back. Damien both had a look of confusion as I lifted my phone back up to look at the text. It read "We are not, I'm coming over for us to talk about this". One simple text made me feel like a building was thrown upon my shoulders. Now I'm more scared than I've ever. There was now another person involved. I had dragged in another person who didn't deserve this

"Don't worry, I'll protect you." Damien said interlocking his arm in mine. I looked up to see determination in his eyes. He practically dragged me back into my apartment to wait like ducks.

"I should handle this on my own." I said honestly worried more for his safety. Knowing how Mark acted when he was mad around didn't help me here, there was another person involved, an attractive, kind man. He would most likely get even more mad that he was my neighbor and I could see him whenever I wanted.

"Mae, it would be safer if you had someone there to support you. Plus, I'll be right by your side if something were to happen." Damien said, giving me a small smile, ultimately making the situation a little better. Damien was buff, but carried himself as if he was weaker than he actually is. Something about him though, made me feel like some sort of anger is building up inside of him, aching to be released.

The door handle started to jiggle after about twenty minutes of me staring out the window and Damien sitting with his eyes closed, mumbling. Finally the door swung open, revealing the root of all my problems, Mark. It was if fiery anger surrounded him. He looked angrily at me cracking his knuckles, but when his gaze fell on Damien, his breath hitched.

"I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. I would like a private conversation with my girlfriend." Mark spat out the words, glaring daggers into Damien.

"Whatever you can say in front of her, you can say in front of me." Damien stares back into Mark's eyes, showing no emotion.

"Leave now, or things will get ugly." Mark's hands clenched into fists of fury, but they stayed glued to his side. Damien stood glared into his soul.

"I have sworn to protect mae, and if that means fighting you, I will."

"Ok buddy, but let me warn you. You should've left when you had the chance." Mark smirks grimly.

"You don't scare me." Damien said, standing his ground.

"We'll see about that." Mark said, before he pounced. Both boys slammed to the ground, Mark on top of Damien swinging without hesitation. Damien managed to block every attack with ease. This is assault, something that should be managed with the police. I grabbed my phone, but before I could even unlock it Mark noticed me.

"Dial that phone, and you will be next." Mark said clasping his hands against Damien's neck. Something in those words made Damien change. Like something had finally snapped.