25~ Thorin

PROMPT: Thorin and you reminisce over the memories of the past.

The night had been filled with lights, laughter, and love. When you were younger, you had never expected that you would ever be this happy. You had never expected that a life full of little moments would lead to something so spectacular. You had never expected for all of your wildest hopes and dreams to come true. Above all, you had never expected to be the woman sitting next to Thorin Oakenshield as the woman that he had promised to love for the rest of his life.

It had admittedly been too much of a blur to actually figure out; the whole night had been so wonderful, and all of the wedding had become a joyful haze in your mind. Even now, when you were lying beside him in bed as the party continued somewhere outside, you were having trouble putting the pieces together. The only thing that was keeping you in that moment was the feeling of Thorin's skin beneath your fingers as you drew patterns across his chest.

"I can hardly believe my life has been this great," he mumbled, quiet enough to pass off as something that was only meant for himself. Still, you looked up at him with a blinding smile when you replied,

"And all of the troublesome times along the way?"

Thorin smiled back at you, his beard framing the lips that were yours to kiss for the rest of your days. That was a nice thought, and it was accompanied by his nice voice, "All of them were great."

You laughed at that, your eyes crinkling around the edges before the wrinkles smoothed into a more disbelieving look. "Really?" you questioned, "Even the time when we first met?"

It had been a cold day, the bare trees swaying with the slightest of bitter breezes, but children still loitered in the cluster of houses. You had been wandering around Erebor that day, getting as close as you could since you were always curious about what went on behind those walls. That had been where you met Thorin for the first time; he had been swinging around a fake sword, looking youthful but not childish. His opponent was a rather unenthusiastic dwarf who looked like they would like to be anywhere else.

You had approached cautiously, giggling at the prince's failed attempts at proper form. With a swordsman for a father, the whole spectacle was teetering between cringeworthy and hysterical. Thorin didn't even seem to realize that he was being watched until one particularly loud laugh left your lips. His whole body had frozen at the sound, and he turned slowly in order to look at you before his cheeks burned red (you couldn't tell if they were red from the cold or from embarrassment).

Your snickering had stopped as soon as he was looking at you, but he had already heard it, and he addressed you with his reddened cheeks, "Am I amusing to you, my lady?"

It took all of your strength not to laugh at him when he went to lean on his fake sword and only stumbled due to the lack of support. You covered your smile with your hands and looked away from him in order to regain your composure. "Someone really ought to teach you how to hold a sword properly," you had said, rolling your eyes when he gave you a defiant look and started swinging wildly yet again.

"What do you mean?" he countered, his voice filled with a sort of confidence that was quite obviously forced. You could hear the shake in his voice that betrayed his nervousness. "I know how to hold it just fine." However, just as he had said that, the sword slipped from his hand and fell back towards his face. There was a loud thunk as it smacked against his face, and he clutched the spot with a few groans.

There was really nothing left to do but laugh.

Now, though, Thorin was laughing at the memory as well. He had pouted back then, so upset that he had managed to muck up his first impression when it came to such a wonderful person. It had ended well enough; you had poked and prodded his 'wounds' as you both talked until the sun had dipped in the sky. The things that you had shared had been the foundation of a beautiful friendship.

"Even then," Thorin nodded in answer to your question, and the exuberant tone of his voice made you believe it. Still, you couldn't help but prod just a little more.

"And even when you first told me of your feelings?"

Now that had been an odd day. It was at a time when things were supposed to be cold but were actually unbearably hot; you had stayed inside for the day instead of wandering through the cobbled streets with your friends. Thorin had sent you a message that said to meet him, but you had had to decline. It was much too hot to go anywhere, and you didn't want either of you to suffer in such a heat. There were only a few people wandering the streets, and they were counted among the brave in your head.

You had been questioning yourself around that time, wondering about whether your feelings for Thorin, one of your closest friends, were ever going to go away. They had done a fair job at staying around until then, and you doubted that they would be leaving anytime soon. It was rather inconvenient, really, because you really enjoyed being around Thorin, but it was getting increasingly harder to be around him when all you wanted to do was tell him everything that had been eating away at you in those past months. It figured that he had to show up that day, when the blistering heat was making you impatient and impulsive.

The knock on the door had come at the hottest part of the day, and you had ushered in a very sweaty Thorin. His clothes were almost sweat through, and you found it a bit disgusting, but he didn't give you long to think about it. Sounding every bit delirious, he had bluntly said, "I'm in love with you."

"What?" you had gaped, your mouth hanging open in a way that you were sure was unattractive at best. You could hardly find the will to care, not when Thorin was going around playing cruel tricks that involved saying things that he didn't mean.

"I'm in love with you," he had repeated, sounding a bit more sure that time, even though that confidence dissolved in a matter of seconds afterwards, "and if you say that you don't feel the same way, I might just blame this all on the heat." He swiped a hand across his forehead, staring down at the back of it when he was done and then looking back up at you as if you held the answer to some ridiculous question. After a short pause, he had begun to ramble, "I'm a fool, aren't I? This is a horrid way to tell you.... Oh, I've really-."

"You're in love with me?" you questioned, still disbelieving and hesitant even as he looked at you as if you were the beginning and the end of everything that he had ever wanted. You blamed the look in his eyes on the blazing heat outside, but even that couldn't attribute to something so intense.

Thorin stopped his rambling to look at you, brows furrowed as a bead of sweat tangled in his thick eyebrows. "Yes, I think that's what I said," he nodded insistently, joining you in your mild state of confusion and disbelief.

It took a moment to sink in, but once it did you were drawing closer to him as quickly as you possibly could, "You're in love with me!" The yelling caught him off guard, but the excited kiss that you bombarded him with soon after was even more dizzying. It was only a short peck, enough to show him how you felt in return, and he had stumbled back as if you had hit him. Then, a dazed smile spread across his lips, and he was falling back towards the floor before you could reach out to grab him. Sure, he had ended up fainting on the floor of your home, but he remembered everything when he awoke again. Neither of you stopped smiling for the rest of the week.

Thorin continued to smile down at you then, still looking like he had all of those years ago. Then, with a resolute look in his warm eyes, he spoke, "Especially then."  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so sorry that I have to end it here. I would have liked to make it a bit longer, but I am rather strapped for time nowadays. I might close requests soon just because I'm trying to work on a novel and school work. Sorry if I haven't gotten to something that you wanted to do, I might take one or two requests before either stopping this or putting it on hold. I just really need to focus. I hope you guys are having a lovely week, and I hope that this was a good imagine! Dedicated to the lovely lots_to_say since they requested it! I hope that it was up to par!

-cow_queen