Chapter Five

Tails' POV

It was all a dream. I picked myself up off of the floor and walked over to the little sprouting plant on my nightstand. "Why did it have to be a dream?" I asked the plant, touching the lone leaf. 

"Tails" The curtains by my window moved ever so slightly with the breeze. I tilted my head, confused by the voice I had just heard. I turned around and saw through the window my parent's car coming up our driveway. I shook off the voice, certain that it was just the wind, and ran down the stairs to greet my parents. I quickly fluffed the pillow I slept on last night and folded the blanket I had used; no need to worry my parents. 

My mom burst through the front door "Miles! Oh sweetheart, how lovely it is to see you. How was your trip? Did you fight off the bad guys?" She squeezed me into her chest and kissed my forehead. "You'll have to tell mommy everything."

"I will mom. Do you need help with your luggage?" I attempted to redirect her focus. I'm not sure if I can recount everything that happened in space to her.

"No I don't think so dear, but you should probably go out and help your father with his," she smiled. My father is usually the one that packs heavier than necessary. You'd think that a renowned soldier would be the one to pack light, but my father does always say to be prepared for anything. 

I walked out to the car and greeted my Dad. "Hey there son. Congratulations on you and your friends success on the battlefield."

"Thanks Dad, but every battle has a loss and we ended up losing one of our people," I knew that I could confide in him about losses in battle. Being in the military for as long as he has, he knows how losing someone to the cause hurts. 

"Oh, well I give that soldier my utmost respect. They will be missed by many," my fathers words were comforting. Even though he is one to be very formal and uptight, he means well in most everything he says and does.

"She will," I wrapped my dad into a hug. He patted my back and then pulled away.

"Let's get these bags in and then we have some catching up to do young man."

"Yes sir," I obliged and picked up the remaining bags then headed inside the house.

The smell of chicken soup greeted my dad and I as we stepped into the house. "Miles honey, thank you for going out to get groceries!"

"Of course! I wasn't just going to not eat anything while you guys were gone," I replied as I set my father's bags down by their room on the first floor. 

"The boy said he lost someone during the fight," my dad didn't leave time for pleasantries.

"I'm really sorry to hear that honey. Do you want to talk about it?" 

"No, I'm okay. Really." I looked at the floor. 

"Okay, but if you do want to talk, know that your father and I are always here for you," she looked at me with her eyebrows raised and a slight pout on her lips.

"Thank you," I replied. "When's dinner gonna be done?" 

"In about ten minutes, why don't you go ahead and wash up? Your father and I will set the table." I nodded and practically ran up the stairs. 

The voice I heard earlier had the same familiar sweetness to it that hers did, it couldn't have been my imagination. I squinted my eyes and tried to recall what she sounded like, what she looked like, how her smell reminded me of roses, but I couldn't. Was her memory fading from me this quickly? The warmth of tears started to form in my eyes, and a swollen throat from holding back the tears was suffocating. I couldn't let my parents see me like this.

Cosmo's POV

"Mother, he's in so much pain. I don't think I can do this. Can you just allow him to hear me once more?" I looked up at my mother, Hertia, who had a faint white glow surrounding her much like everyone else that was here from my family. 

"No, my child. You must be forgotten so that you can go back more naturally," she replied, patting my head.

"But can he please keep just one memory of me besides those awful flashbacks you've insisted we put him through? Last night was really great, but couldn't you give me more time with him?"

"I'll think about it. And you know I did that so that he can start disassociating with the you he knew. It gives him something else to focus on besides the hurt that he's feeling. And you knew that last night was the time for you to say goodbye."

"I know, I'm just frustrated," I looked back down at him. He looked so confused, so scared. All I wanted to do was tell him that everything would be okay. That I would be back soon.

Tails' POV

"Dinner's ready!" My mom called from downstairs.

"Coming!" I replied. I took a deep breath in and headed downstairs. The chair squeaked as I pulled it out to sit down at the table.

"I don't want to be pushy, but could you tell us about the person you lost?" My mom asked.

"Um, yeah sure. Her name is-was Cosmo. She came to us and asked for our help because her home planet had been conquered and the ship she was on had been taken over by them-"

"Who's them?" My dad asked, his eyes narrowed.

"The Metarex. They wanted to take all of the planets and turn them into jungles to create peace in the universe."

"Now, why would they want to do that?" My mom asked in between bites of her soup.

"Because they were a species called Seedrians. Cosmo was too, I think. I'm sorry, it's difficult to recall," I furrowed my brows. Why couldn't I remember?

"It's alright son, it sounds like a coping mechanism from losing Cosmo in the line of fire," his understanding eyes looked into mine.

"Line of fire! I remember, I was the one that had to, um, shoot her. I don't remember why, but I do remember that I did and that she was the reason why we're all still alive."

"And if that's all you can recall right now, that's okay. How's the soup?" My mom changed the topic.

I took a spoonful of the soup and slurped it,"Really good." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guys, I'm not dead!! I know it's been forever since I've updated anything and I kinda lost where I was going with this story so I just decided to spin it in a whole new direction :D

Hope you all enjoyed, and if you did a vote is always very much appreciated <3

Love all of you and thank you for being so patient!! <3