Phone call

Michaels pov
"Hello?" I asked groggily into the phone.

"Hello Michael" I heard my dad say.

"You don't know the time zones do you?" I laughed.

"Oh my god I forget about that"

I glanced at Heather seeing she was still asleep and left the room.

"So why'd you call?" I questioned.

Calum furrowed his eye brows at me as I walked past him but I waved my hand at him to leave.

"I wanted to talk about your mother" he said quietly.

My breath hitched as I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to stop the tears. My
mother was the last thing I wanted to talk about right now.

"What about her?" I whispered.

"Michael it's ok, we are just talking" he said soothingly.

"I just don't want to talk about that right now" I stuttered.

"We have to at some point. Are you flying home any time soon?"

"I guess I could" I mumbled.

"Around April 20th?" He asked.

"Yes" I whispered.

He explained a few more things to me then hung up. I buried my head in my arms trying to stop crying.

"Good morning Mikey" I heard Heather say.

I didn't respond. I heard her shuffling around before she placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Are you ok?" She asked quietly.

I bit my lip and lifted my head. Her eyes widened slightly before she hugged me.

"What's wrong?" She questioned, as she started running her fingers through my hair.

"I just got off the phone with my father" I hic-upped. "We were talking about my moms funeral"

"A funeral is like a closure. Maybe after this you won't be so upset about her death. You'll know she's in a better place now and isn't sick anymore" she explained softly.

"Are you having a funeral for your mom?" I pulled back to ask. It was just a random thought that just popped into my head. She stayed quiet for a few minutes probably trying to find a way to answer that.

"My dads in prison and no one knows what happened to me" she answered.

"Doesn't she have a family?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows.

"They got in a fight when my parents got married and never talked again" she explained.

"Wow so you never had grandparents or aunts and uncles growing up?" I asked.

She shook her head and smiled then hugged me again.

"You'll feel better after it" she said quietly.

"Look Michael" she smiled, tugging on the flannel I was wearing "This part matches your hair" She pointed to the black part on my flannel.

"Good job" I gave her a small smile and kissed her head.

"I love you" she whispered, brushing the last few tears off my face.

"I love you too"