Chapter Eleven

(Thanks for reading my story!)

When Mina woke up, all of yesterday's events came rushing back to her, giving her an instant headache. She didn't want to have to go downstairs and face Teague, not after she got him hurt.

Mina opened her eyes, glaring at the open curtains in her room, bringing in rays of light that told her she was supposed to get up. She groaned and hid her face in the pillow, willing the sun to disappear forever.
A small knock on her door made Mina get up groggily, not wanting one of her orb friends to strain themselves.

"Mina, are you awake yet?" Ever's voice murmured. Mina was surprised Ever was here instead of Nan, but she opened the door, smiling at her purple flying friend.

"Sorry if I overslept... It was a long night." Mina blushed when Ever gave what seemed to be a grunt.

"You've been asleep all morning. It's nearly afternoon!" Ever exclaimed, floating to Mina's washroom and drawing a bath--something Mina could have easily done herself.

"Ever, I can get myself ready for the day, I don't want you to trouble yourself with that," Mina called, standing in the washroom's doorway, watching the porcelain tub fill with warm water, flower petals, and bubbles. Ever didn't seem to notice Mina' s words because she zipped right past her to the closet, laying out a white day dress with green and blue flowers, then began barking for Mina to get in the tub.

As Mina was getting in, she wondered why Ever was here. Why any of the orbs were here. Where they always orbs, or did something happen to make them orbs?

"Ever...?" Mina called, lowering herself into the exquisite warmth of the bath.

"Yes, Mina?" Ever said briskly, floating to the doorway slowly. Mina didn't know if Ever was used to... seeing people, but she checked the bubbles around herself just incase.

"How long have you been at this castle?" Mina asked, gazing at her purple friend.
Ever was quiet, possibly counting the years, maybe totally ignoring her. "Okay, if you don't want to say-"

"Many, many, many years." Ever sighed. "You probably want to here my story now, don't you? I'm sure if you ask anyone else, they'll just tell you I'm an boring old prune."

Mina was excited, the life story of Ever? This was going to be interesting.

"I grew up in a royal family, me being the only female princess in my kingdom, I was sent here for a contest. The Prince here was in need of a bride, and I didn't believe I stood a chance. A pixie, win the heart of the most powerful Prince in the entire fae plane? Impossible," Ever laughed, leaving the doorway to fall on Mina' s bed. "But I came, if for nothing more than duty to my kingdom."

"So you were a pixie? That's so cool! In my home, those are just... fake." Mina cringed at the word. Ever must hate the word fake.

"Huh, yes, I suppose humans don't have the mental capacity to believe in us," Ever snorted, very unprincess like. "As I was saying, I came to this castle and entered a contest. Nan was also a princess from some other kingdom. There were a few others, but one in particular stood out. She wasn't lovely, she wasn't lady like, she wasn't the... brightest."

Mina felt her interest deepen at this girl. Why was she important?

"This girl's name was unknown to me, along with several others, but I knew she was special. She simply came and asked for love where love was being chosen. That girl was dismissed immediately. The Prince loathed her appearance, even though she was one of the most kind. The girl gave him a choice-to chose between beauty and love. He chose beauty."

Ever' s amythest color began to morph into an ugly maroon. "She cast a spell on us, those who were in the room. Some became objects, others became orbs like me. The Prince was left to stay the way he was, beautiful and perfect, only to be shunned by everyone he knew and hated by all. She told him that until he could find the beauty in love and kindness, and earn a beautiful girl's love, his world would decay until it was a vast land of desolation and sadness."

Mina' s heart ached for her friends, and she felt a strong hate for this strange girl who cast a spell on them. Who was she to come and punish them for a prince's arrogance?

"Ever, I'm sorry. That wasn't fair of her to do this to you," Mina said quietly. She began to get out of the tub, and Ever floated away from sight.

"That's the thing. I was just like him. We all were. We all resented this girl for no other reason than that she wasn't as perfect as the rest of us. I deserved this, and I knew it. Others... Others couldn't believe it and ended up, well, giving up." Ever' s voice quieted.

Mina dried herself off and wrapped a towel around her body, stepping out of the washroom and out to the dress laying on her bed. She grabbed it and stepped quickly to her changing sheet, dressing behind it.

"I often wonder what would have happened if he chose that girl. What would have happened if he chose me," Ever murmured. Mina wasn't sure if she was meant to hear it, so she kept quiet. "You would never have lost your brother, you would never have been here, Teague would never have been out in the forest fighting for you... but he looks incredibly handsome when he's bleeding and unconscious, wouldn't you agree?"

Mina felt herself blush, and she laughed nervously. She sighed.
"I didn't get a good look at him as I was dragging him though the rain... but yes, I suppose he could have been a little handsome."

When she had the dress on, Mina called Ever over to help her with the back buttons. Ever zipped over, her color back to normal, and Mina felt her back being covered by the rest of her dress.

"Thank you," Mina said softly, turning to smile at Ever. But she was already at the door.

"Yeah, yeah, you're welcome. Now, let's go see how Teague is. He's been acting weird all morning." Ever' s impatience was obvious.

Mina felt herself smile again, and she opened the door for Ever and herself, bracing herself for the awkward day that was going to pass.

·······

Charlie was devastated, losing his sister was not on his to do list.
But, he did as he was told, and as soon as he appeared back home, he called Mei.

"Hello, if this is Mina, say something..if this is Charlie, I don't know, hit the phone or something."

Charlie hit the phone. Mei chuckled. "Alright, Charlie, I'll be right over."

A few minutes later, Mei came by his house and gave him a hug.

"How's my little boy? Where's your sister?" Mei asked, looking around.
Charlie grabbed the seam ripper and pointed at it.

"Yes, that's a lovely thing. Now, what did you call me for?" Mei asked sweetly, her brown eyes on his.
Charlie pointed at the seam ripper more aggressively.

"Oh, she's sewing or something. That's nice. It was good seeing you, Charlie, do you need anything else?"
Charlie felt his frustration reach a climax and he gave a shout. Mei waved her hands as if to calm him down.

"Okay then, I'll leave you be. Bye bye, little Charlie." Mei waved and left, leaving Charlie feeling empty and angry.