Chapter 8: The Sky Falls

Warning for this chapter: more cursing than usual. You'll understand why.

Tatum's pov:

A couple robberies and some gearing up later, we're ready to complete our suicide mission. The term's more accurate for me. Even if I don't turn cheetah, I feel as if I've been run over by a tractor tractor trailer. Something I don't plan on telling the others. Especially not Steve. I've never seen him so freaked as I did today... And I don't really understand it. Not that U really have time to figure it out.

"I swear, after this... We need a damn vacation." I grumble on our way to SHIELD headquarters. Steve cracks a smirk in reply, though I can tell he's getting into "Captain" mode.

"Heroes don't take vacations, Tate." I want to ask 'since when am I a hero', but Nat speaks before I can.

"Besides, that's assuming we survive this." Sam stares at all of us, before shaking his head.

"Why aren't you a ray of sunshine." I can't help but to snicker.

"Newbie." Steve rolls his eyes, but then sits up straight. We all know that set in his jaw.

"Showtime." Nat mutters, straightening her wig.

*****
"Tate, you ready?" Steve asks as we climb up the stairs of the compound. nod, fiddling with my phone. Funny how much you can do with an iPhone if you know how to use it right.

"Yep."

"Do it." I smirk and punch the button to disrupt the com signal. As we near the door to the control room, we hear the men inside conversing.

"Ow!"

"Must be the dish."

"I'll check it out." I turn off the safety off my gun and raise it, pointing at the door. When the agent opens it, he stops in his tracks. Maria and I point our guns at the guy, even if it won't be necessary. It's hard to tell who is HYDRA and who is just clueless. But we're about to find out.

"Excuse us." The agent raises his hands and moves to the side, letting us pass. Smart kid.

We make our way in, and the other men leave their seats with some prompting from my pistol. Maria sits down at the control panel and Steve turns on the overhead com system. We're completely silent, waiting for what he's going to say. It has to be good if it's going to sway the SHIELD Agents that think we're criminals.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot the Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

I can't help but be stunned. I mean, Steve is a leader for a reason, but still.

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" I smirk to myself at Sam's words, but Steve only shakes his head. The moment doesn't last long. Steve just flipped the switch. Chaos is bound to be erupting by now.

Steve turns toward me, becoming serious once more.

"You have Porter?" I mean, I get why he's concerned. I still feel half-dead, even if I'm not going to admit it. My ribs hurt less thanks to some fantastic pain killers the Doc gave me, but I'm still physically weakened. Not going to mention that either.