Chapter Ten

The reflection in the mirror hid the truth. It hid her truth.

The bruises on her arm may have been covered up in the mirror but Ariane could still feel the iron grip that had squeezed her flesh until it changed colour. She could still feel his sharp finger digging into her shoulder as he poked her, asking offensive questions while doing so. If she closed her eyes tight enough, she could still see the rage in his eyes when he saw her return with a slight pep in her step.

She could remember it all and yet the mirror showed none of it.

The woman staring back at her was dressed in a business suit, her hair in a sleek bob and her face made up. The woman in front of her looked assured, independent and looked as if she had control over her life.

That wasn't her truth.

Ariane's truth was far more sinister.

She was broken. Her spirit was broken, her body was broken and her mind was broken.

She was convinced now more than ever that Gerald was far from the man that she had fallen in love with and that that man was gone.

Annoyance at her being late that evening, she had expected. Absolute rage for disobeying him? That had shocked her and pushed her into silence when he started berating her and pushing her around. That night he didn't hit her directly but she knew he had the potential to do so.

Every bone and every fibre in her being told her to leave. Screamed at her to leave him but for some reason she couldn't find the strength to do so.

If she did, where would she begin? Who would she have? What would she do?

These were important questions that would make her pause and really think things through.

Ariane now had reins to the original Infinity club and it was giving her hope that she could get back into work. She needed it and she didn't doubt for one second that Gerald would snatch Infinity away from her if she walked.

No matter what, she was screwed.

The rest of the weekend, Gerald tried hard to kiss up to her and act like nothing had ever happened. His apology had been half assed and the flowers were not appreciated.

She didn't buy into his performance one bit and instead, the display angered her. How quickly he could go from red hot rage to sincerity pissed her off. His acts of regret meant nothing since he didn't seem to learn from his horrific mistakes.

And as if her husband wasn't giving her enough problems, thoughts of her chauffeur didn't help at all.

Beau and the kiss continuously played in her mind like a loop.

From start to finish, she replayed the scene, her body having the same reaction to it as it always did.

It was wrong and she knew it but Ariane marvelled at how good it felt to kiss Beau. He kissed her with everything he had and he kissed her to make her get hot and bothered, not just to shut her up like Gerald did.

His desire for her made her giddy. It had been so long since she felt wanted by someone who she wanted just as much and it was strange to admit that to herself.

She wanted Beau.

The 6'4 gentleman with lethal lips made her ache in places that were in need of special attention. He held her like she wanted to be held and kissed her with the rough desire she craved. She could still remember how he had hauled her against him and pressed into her to make her feel his hard on. If it hadn't been for him holding her up, she was sure her knees would've given out on her the moment she felt his insistent erection against her.