25

It was midmorning when Thomas and Minho stepped into the Glade again. None of them felt like talking at all, though they had to tell the Gladers what they had discovered: there was no way out.

The walls weren't even moving anymore. As Minho said, the creators had been playing with them, the way a cat plays with mice before eating them, and now it was time to end the game. There was no exit. Not even the Grievers payed attention to them anymore, and they had bumped into some; it was like they were toys that had become too old, and didn't interest the creators nor their monsters anymore.

How did Thomas fit in the scheme? He knew he had helped build the Maze, and maybe this was a part of a bigger plan. The thought that he knew what was going on before but couldn't recall it now infuriated him. Why had he forgotten everything? There must be something in his mind that could save them all. According to Teresa, they both knew everything about the Maze before. If only he could find a way to take the memories back.

Even though he felt like he was dying inside, and despite the chaos that reigned when they left, the two Runners entered a Glade in which everyone was working their usual. Newt soon approached them, running.

"Hey," he greeted them, patting Thomas' shoulder. "You're the first to come back. What happened? Tell me you've got good news."

The childlike look of hope his face held broke Thomas' heart. He desperately wanted to have something good for him, the promise of a better tomorrow, but just didn't. He refused to speak, looking away from Newt's face. Minho stared nowhere. "Nothing," he said. "The Maze is a freaking joke."

Newt looked confused. Thomas decided he couldn't let him know that they were lost. Not yet. Plus, they had the maps, didn't they? Maybe Teresa and the others had discovered something useful. Maybe... Maybe they had the answers Newt wanted to hear. "He's just discouraged," he explained. "We didn't find anything different. The walls haven't moved, no exits—nothing. Did the Grievers come last night?"

Darkness passed over Newt's face. "Yeah. They took Adam."

It was just like Gally said. One person per night.

The rest of the Runners returned within an hour; none had found anything. The atmosphere was thick with gloom, and almost everyone had abandoned their tasks.

Thomas' hope was entirely put on the Maze's code. If there was an answer, it had to be hidden there. They had already analyzed everything else, and it was the only possibility they had left. It had to be.

Teresa? he said in his mind. Where are you? Did you figure anything out?

We're still in the basement. Newt had some Gladers help us trace the Maps, and I think we've already figured all the code out.

Serious? His throat dried.

Come down here.

Coming.

He didn't feel exhausted anymore as he ran to the room.

Come check this out, Teresa said in his mind as soon as he stepped in. Thomas gulped, already feeling dizzy with excitation and the headache that came with telepathy. Newt, who was by the girl's side, gave him a strange look, and Thomas stuck a thumb up.

Don't talk in my head while Newt's around. I don't want him knowing about our... gift. It was some kind of fear what provoked this. Thomas feared that Newt would turn his back on him if he discovered it. He already sensed that the boy was confused with Thomas' constant protective attitude towards the girl; if he knew that they also talked telepathically... Maybe he'd give up on Thomas. A part of him knew that it was a stupid fear, but it was a very small one. The rest was busy freaking out.