Chapter Four: Homework and Gossip

"Hey Iris, want to be my best friend ever?"

I turned around and looked at Cayden, skeptically, "This can't be good."

"I forgot to do last night's homework." He told me.

"Cayden!" I groaned.

"You got to help me out! At least help me with the first half?" He pleads.

I sighed. We're in math class and this is probably the fiftieth time he "forgot" to do his homework. I'm scared to even ask what his grade for this class is.

"I'll buy you lunch." He said, smiling.

"Just the first three, okay?" I told him, handing him my homework.

He grinned, "I'll take it!"

"You're lucky we have a sub today! If Sullivan was here today, she would probably chop your head off by now." I scolded him.

"Which one?"

I smacked Cayden's shoulder for his perverted joke.

"I'm kidding!" He said, chuckling.

"Alright, guys. I was informed that you guys had some homework last night. Time to turn them in." Our substitute for the day, Mr. Durnam announced to everyone.

I heard Cayden cuss out "shit" behind me.

As everyone started to pass up their homework, Cayden handed me mine and his.

"Better than nothing, I guess." He mumbled. He leans over and whispers in my ear, "By the way, I have a surprise for you over the weekend. Hope you're not doing anything Saturday."

I looked back at him, "From what I know, I'm not doing anything. What is it?"

"I told you, it's a surprise. You're going to have to wait and see." He said, winking at me.

"Don't know if I should be scared or not." I said to him.

He smiled, "I'm sure you'll enjoy it."

-----

"You guys should just date already."

I looked up at Alice who was looking right back at me with a smile plastered on her face.

"You're never going to stop thinking about it, are you?" I asked her, putting my pencil down.

It was study hall time and Alice and I decided to spend the entire period at the library, working on our history project together.

But as usual, Alice is side tracked again.

"Our feelings aren't mutual, remember? I doubt that he likes me like that." I told her.

"Well, do you know that? I mean, if he didn't like you, I'm sure he wouldn't be taking this challenge." She said.

"I think he's just being Cayden. No feelings whatsoever." I reassured her and went back to work.

"But what if feelings actually appear? Even though he told you to try not to fall in love with him along the way, what if you do?" She asks.

I stopped writing and looked up at her, "I doubt that'll happen."

"It's possible!" She said, smiling.

I shrugged and continued writing.

"So what do you think he has planned for you over the weekend?"

"Alice!"

"What? I'm just asking. And I'm curious."