Chapter Two: The Hospital Wing

There was fire in Hermione's veins. She was burning alive from the inside out.

She couldn't breathe. Couldn't think straight. Couldn't even open her mouth to scream.

She was going to die to die sprawled out on the stone floor and no one would ever know what had happened.

And then there were hands clutching at her. Voices asking her what was wrong. She tried to tell them to go away but couldn't find the words. Hermione felt herself being lifted, and the cool stone was replaced by a scratchy fabric. She was surrounded by white and recognized, somewhere deep within her, that she was in the Hospital Wing.

The hands were back again. Poking and prodding and pouring liquids down her throat that made her choke. She tried to slap them away, but she couldn't work up the energy.

Suddenly, there was the pale face of Professor Snape hovering above her. She felt his cool hands on her as he examined her.

Then it was over.

The pain was gone and Hermione choked out a sob of relief. She grabbed the man's hand with all of her remaining strength. Clutched at it as if it was a bit of driftwood and she was drowning.

And then she fell into darkness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Hermione returned to herself, her vision was still hazy. She blinked a few times and the Hospital Wing slowly came into focus. After a few confused moments, she realized she was being watched.

Headmistress McGonagall sat in a chair pulled up to her bedside. She looked exhausted and worry dominated her usually stern expression. "I'm glad you're finally awake."

Hermione nodded. She had to clear her throat several times before she could speak. "What happened?"

The older woman sighed and leaned forward to place a hand on hers. "You collapsed in the Gryffindor common room. One of the paintings alerted us to your condition."

"What's wrong with me?" she whispered. She felt tears burning at her eyes and turned her face away so the other would not see.

McGonagall hesitated, and when she spoke her voice sounded strained. "We're not sure. While you were in the midst of your ... episode, Madam Pomfrey gave you many different potions, tried Healing spells and counter-curses. Nothing seemed to help. And then it just stopped."

Hermione sank back onto her pillows and closed her eyes. Her fingers clutched at the rough blanket that was covering her. "All I remember is the pain. I don't think I've ever felt anything like it before."

The headmistress appeared sympathetic. She patted Hermione's hand again and said, "You should stay here for a while. Get some rest. Madam Pomfrey will be in her office; all you need to do is shout. I think I'm going to go talk to Albus. If only he were really here. He always knew what to do."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

The next time the pain began to set into her bones, she gave a panicked shout for Madam Pomfrey. The gray haired witch came scurrying out of her office with the same worried expression that the headmistress had given her.

It wasn't a reassuring sight. They hadn't been exaggerating when they said that they had no idea what they were dealing with.

"It'll be alright, dear. I'll be right back. I have to send for the others. Just stay calm."