Twenty-one - Speed

Mia's POV

Alex held my hand while we sat by the edge of the beach. The tip of my toes were barely touching the waves when they would come on the sand. I was extremely relieved that we were on good terms now. I did not want our vacation to be ruined because of my lousy attempt to give him a great anniversary gift.

I scooted closer to him and felt him wrap his arms around me as he asked, "would you like to do anything today? We can just relax here on the beach or in the pool or go snorkeling or scuba diving, we can use the water ski, jet ski... Anything you want honey."

I saw his face get excited when he started mentioning the jet ski and water ski so I said, "maybe we could do jet ski and water ski today then just enjoy the beach for the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow we could do snorkeling and scuba diving?"

"Of course baby girl, the day before we leave we are definitely taking a boat ride though. It's my newest toy and I would love for you to be the first passenger on it." He said as he smiled excitedly.

"You just bought a boat because you wanted to?"

"Well, I treat myself sometimes"

I rolled my eyes while smiling because he was such a boy with his toys.

I got up and held my hand down to help him after brushing the sand off of me, "let's go?"

He smirked and took my hand but I felt him push himself up instead and I rolled my eyes, "I'm stronger than you think you know."

He smiled at me and wrapped his arms around me from behind as we walked in the room. He quickly changed into swimming trunks and a t shirt and I grabbed a few things we needed before heading out such as sunscreen. 

He asked, "what do you want to do first?" As he put on his sunglasses.

"How about jet ski first then water ski?"

Only a few minutes later I was biting my lips nervously because I was about to get on a jet ski and I had never done so before. I had a life vest on but I still couldn't stop the nerves. He held his hand out to me to help me on the jet ski and asked, "you alright? You look a little nervous."

I didn't want him to think I was scared to try new things so I shook my head and got on as confidently as I could. He smiled and showed me the brake and accelerator then got on his jet ski. He smirked and looked at me with the most carefree smile I had seen on his face yet and said "race you!"

He sped off as he said that and I couldn't help but laugh at his carefree laugh. It was like he was a teenager again. I slowly started accelerating then realized it wasn't too hard and went even faster trying to catch up to him. Within seconds I had caught up to him and was keeping up with his speed. He thought he could beat me but this time he was wrong.

Alex's POV

I sped up when I saw her close to me, I had not felt this carefree in such a long time. I turned and saw her smile laced with exhilaration. Her laughter was floating through the wind and dancing with mine. I turned because I realized how far we'd come and I did not want her to be out too deep and turned around to look at her.

I saw her start to turn without decreasing her speed. Her turn was way too sharp and her small body went flying off the side of the jet ski.  I sped back to her and dived in the water to pull her out my heart beating a mile a minute. I dragged her up and saw her gasping for air.