Water Everywhere

Soon the road resembled more a river than the road it was. Fennie had to slow down so that Duxy would have it easier to stay on the road. If they ended up astray from the road and into the woods it would be dangerous. It was really easy to get lost in the woods and on the other side was the cliff. The cliff that fell right down into the sea.

After a while Fennie had to get down from Duxy's back so that Duxy would have it easier to get through in this weather. They trudged along the road trying to get towards the village.

It felt like Fennie had walked for hours next to Duxy but still they couldn't see the houses of the village. The water was almost up to her knees and all she could see was water. The rain was still pouring down with enough force to blur out anything else.

It was getting harder for her to get forward since her skirt was drenched and stuck to her legs. The water on the road that pushed to the opposite direction of where she was going did not help either.

Fennie was scared she had wandered off the road and into the forest but the occasional stone she felt under her foot reminded her of the stones of the road. In the forest the ground was much softer and there were no stones. Fennie thought she had to be at least close to the road and continued the path she thought would lead her to the village.

Fennie was starting to feel cold and tried to wrap the jacket tighter around herself. But it was to no use because the jacket was already drenched. The cold pushed through and went all the way to Fennie's bones. She shivered and stumbled over a stone. She grabbed Duxy's mane to keep her from falling into the water.

Duxy stopped. The water was to the poor pony's knees and she had a hard time getting forward as well. The pony's black fur was sticking to her like glue and her mane was slippery from being drenched.

"We can do this Duxy, we will get to grandma's today. When we get there you will get a warm blanket and some oats. I will get warm clothes and a cup of warm tea. There will be a fire in grandma's fireplace and I will get a blanket to wrap myself in. Everything will be okay, we will be in the village in no time." Fennie whispered small calming sentences in Duxy's ear. Partially it was to keep herself calm.

They had to stop. Fennie couldn't see and she was getting really tired. She could sense Duxy getting tired too.

"It's not far anymore, we should be there any minute now. Look there, the rain is not as heavy there. Maybe we can go that way so that we don't get washed away." Fennie  started to walk again with new found strength, knowing soon she would be out of the rain.