5

I was going over the hand signs for Sand Coffin while Gaara was battling with his inner demon. Literally. This chakra and Jutsu thing was new to me, but Gaara was actually being patient with me. Trying to at least. The Shukaku wasn't making it easy, probably telling him to take my head off. I watched him tug on the roots of his hair. I tried to respect his wish of not wanting to be touched, I wrapped my arms around myself instead.

Suddenly he turned around to look at me. "Keep practicing!" he yelled. I sighed and went back to work. I didn't need him getting angry at me, I was already frustrated enough for the both of us. I could try for years and probably still never get it right. I stopped again and looked down at my feet. I shook my head. Maybe It's actually impossible for me to do this. I am a Neko after all, you've never heard of a Neko Kage, that's for sure. Maybe we're not meant to be able to control our chakra and do freaky jutsu moves.

"You're quitting? You're pathetic, we haven't even been out here long and you're done. I don't need anymore weaklings and quitters on my team." he walked closer to me. "I thought maybe you could be on my level because of your control over sand but I guess you're just another easy life that I'll eventually have to take because what good are you to me if you can't put up a fight!?" He stood in my face, his voice rose with every word until he was yelling at the end.

My eyes were wide looking at him, my heart racing. I wasn't afraid, just surprised. I couldn't move, I couldn't react. His teeth were bared like some wild animal.

He growled at me, probably looking for a reaction, but none came. I was stunned. He growled again and pushed my shoulders. I stumbled backwards. He pushed me again and I slipped and fell on my bottom. My mouth opened to let out a wail that would have no sound as a sharp pain ran through my ankle. My eyes and teeth were clenched shut as I clutched my twisted ankle. My breathing was ragged and I rolled over on my side, feeling tears come to my eyes.

"Pathetic." he growled. My first tear fell when I felt him step on my injured ankle. "Maybe you should return to the sand village, I have no use for frail girls like you." He pressed harder. My nails dug into the dirt. He moved his foot off of my ankle and lifted me by a hand around my neck.

I noticed sand covering my ankle like a cast, but I was still in too much pain to figure out if it was me or him controlling it. After a few seconds I felt the pain go away, I opened my eyes to see his looking back at me. He noticed the difference and looked at my ankle just as the sand was returning to the ground. I wiggled my foot to test it and it felt as good as new.

He dropped me and I fell on my butt again. "How?" he asked quietly. I wanted to know too, I heal fast, but never this fast. He knelt in front of me, grabbing my hand with one of his, a kunai in the other. He sliced my hand open with no remorse while I cringed in pain. His hand trembled under mine as blood trickled from the wound, a few drops landing on his fingers. "Do it again." his eyes stayed on the cut. I took a deep breath and moved a pile of sand to cover my hand. I felt it as the pain disappeared. I let the sand fall back into place on the ground and I looked at my uninjured hand, the blood was even gone, not the same case for him.

Gaara pulled his hand away from mine and examined my blood still on his fingers. He licked his hand clean. I tilted my head at his action. My head at a new angle, I was able to see Kankuro walking towards us. I grinned and started to run over to him but Gaara's sand caught me by the leg and I fell forward on my belly. He dragged me back to him. I pouted and glared at him and he narrowed his eyes, his sand retreating. Kankuro made it over to us then. He frowned at me on the ground and offered a hand to help me. I took it gladly. When I was on my feet again I wrapped my arms around his large frame and hugged him close. He actually hugged me back. I signed in content.

"So what have you two been up to all day? Temari was worried, you guys missed lunch." he pulled away slowly and looked at both of us.

I smiled and turned to Gaara, wanting to show Kankuro my newfound ability. I tugged at his hand that held the kunai. He didn't budge, he was staring at his brother. I knitted my eyebrows, what was wrong?

Before I knew it Kankuro was backed against a tree, the kunai in Gaara's hand pressed against his neck. My eyes widened.

"I told you not to touch her." he growled.

"Sh-she hugged me, Gaara." he stuttered, putting his hands up.

"You touched her, now you must pay." Gaara's sand moved to lock his wrists to the tree. My heart beat in my chest and I was stunned as he raised the kunai above his head. Kankuro had his eyes shut tight. "Temari isn't here to protect you now." he whispered in Kankuro's ear. With that he lowered his hand quickly and Kankuro let out a strangled yell as the knife went through the palm of his hand and through the tree. I started shaking and Gaara got out another kunai. Another stab, another yell. Gaara dropped his sand from his brother and turned to walk away, blank expression on his face. I stood my ground as he walked past me. I heard his sand inch towards me to pull me along. I used my sand to cut his off. "Come on, I don't have time for this."

"Go with him, kitty, I'll be fine." Kankuro winced through the pain.

I shook my head.

"Come on!" he yelled, trying again to get me with his sand, and once again, I blocked it.

Kankuro looked up and me and smiled weakly. "Go on, I can get out of this." he tried to persuade me but I saw the fear in his eyes and the sweat that was smudging his face paint.

I walked closer to the taller brother.

"Turn around now or you'll be in the same situation he is." he threatened.

I turned around, but only to point to the village and mouth the word 'go'. I crossed my arms at my chest. It was quiet for too long, I stood my ground and kept eye contact with him.

He growled and turned around toward the village, walking back.

I swiftly turned on my heel to face Kankuro again. "You didn't have to do that." he whispered.

I nodded at him, I did have to do it, no one else would. I slowly reached out for his left hand. I bit my lip. He gave me the go ahead and I placed my hand on the handle of the knife and pulled. He yelled and I winced. As soon as the knife was out he dropped his hand as his chest heaved. I ghosted my hand over the kunai in his other hand and he gulped and nodded. Another pull, another yell. He looked down at his hands and cursed.

He dropped to his knees on the ground and I followed him, sitting back on my heels. "Do you have any bandages?" he asked weakly. When I shook my head he bowed his. I put my hand under his chin and raised his face to look at mine and I smiled at him, he raised his eyebrows.

I placed my hands gently under his and started to pile and wrap my sand in and around his palms. He gasped and his eyes widened and I knew it was working. After a few seconds when I was sure he was fully healed I dropped the sand and looked at his hands. Good as new, the only way you would know he was hurt was from the tear in his gloves.

"How?" he said breathlessly, clenching and unclenching his fist.

I shrugged. I didn't get far enough to learn how or why it worked.

He started chuckling and I tilted my head. "It's funny, Gaara uses his power to destroy and kill and you use yours to repair and heal." I smiled, seeing the humor. "When we get back home you should try out to be a medical nin, we could always use more. You remember Uncle Yashamaru?" he asked and I nodded. "He was a medical nin. You'd be just like him." he grinned and I frowned, dropping my head. "What?"

I looked up at him and shook my head, of course the Kazakage didn't tell him and Temari how their uncle really died, and why, and the horrible things he said to my Gaara. My Gaara, who I just told to leave...

I stood immediately, Kankuro did the same, looking around, narrowing his eyes. I shook my head and put my hand on my chest then pointed in the direction Gaara left.

"Oh," he said. "Go ahead." I nodded and ran in the direction of the leaf village, following Gaara's scent.