Luther's Mate

Chapter 1

Luther

"I'm sorry, Luther. But I need to think of the pack as a whole and you're presence...it's causing too many issues. A pack with too many internal problems is weak. Weak packs are targets."

I stared at Jorge's face. He looked uncomfortable more than sad,despite the tone of his words.

The sharp sting of betrayal had already settled into a dull ache in my chest. There had already been so many smaller and larger hurts dealt me here that my heart had had to harden somewhat.

But it still hurt.

For the last ten years, I'd done everything for the good of the pack. I'd acted as one of the Enforcers, I'd shared what I had with members who'd needed it. I'd kept my head down, careful not to flaunt my sexuality, knowing it wasn't something the majority were comfortable with.

I'd been discrete. Gone to the next town over to scratch the itch. Hell, I hadn't even kept a lover longer than a week, knowing a relationship would be so much more difficult to hide.

But I hadn't been careful enough.

Someone had seen me. The news had spread quickly, packs not really big on privacy.

The last two days had not gone well.

I hadn't realized I still had a kernel of hope buried deep inside me. Hope that I'd be accepted. That people would remember that I was still me, remember everything I'd done for them.

"I'll be out by sundown."

No way was I begging for scraps from the very people I would have given my life for.

Ignoring more half-hearted platitudes, I went home to clear out my possessions.

I didn't know where I was going, but I couldn't be here anymore.

If I ended up alone, so be it.

At least there wouldn't be anyone to let me down.

Cliff

I pulled up into the bar parking lot, ready for a few drinks before I headed home.

I opened the door, a cacophony of scents and sounds assaulting me as soon as I stepped in. The brisk night air gave way to the warmth inside.

Spotting an empty seat in the back, I pushed through the crowd,ignoring a couple of invitations to dance along the way.

Sitting down with a sigh, I signaled the bartender and asked for a beer.

He set down the bottle with a lingering smile and an invitation in his kohl-lined eyes.

"Thanks."

I ignored the invitation and picked up the cold bottle, leaning back with it in my hand to look over the crowd.

Plenty of flesh was on display. Men dressed in mesh shirts to showoff hours in the gym, others dressed in pants so tight I could measure their length and girth with a glance.

Advertising.

But I wasn't in the mood to buy.

I gestured for another beer as the door opened and someone else came inside.

I didn't look up until I heard a deep voice politely refusing a salacious come on.

That voice hit something inside me.