I live for this cruelty

Grantaire's POV

My lover will live through a misconception doomed to never be cleared up. That is all I know as I walk the streets of Paris at night with only one mission in mind: to die, and to disregard all promises I may have made as a side effect, and though I feel somewhat ashamed for cursing someone I love, it is necessary in order to avoid more monumental things in the future.

The bottle of painkillers I never disposed of rests tensely in my hand, ready to be employed in stopping my heart sooner or later, and it is through them that I feel completely secure. They will give me what I have spent years grasping for, what I have never received until now, what my friends would hate me for accepting, but it must be done.

What my friends don't realize is that this action will spare them a lot of pain. Before Enjolras pitied me enough to trick himself into thinking he loves me, all we would do is fight, and that was the entire dynamic of our relationship. I have kept Joly awake on countless occasions because he was worrying about me more than he was worrying about his own life. I have unwittingly sparked many table conversations behind my back about my health. I have thrown my friends into such turmoil, into such distress, and it's time that this routine dies along with me.

I can only walk nearer to the Ferris wheel from here, a destination so fitting for my demise because of its prominent role in my genesis, and I guess I've always been one for the sort of tradition that stops you in your tracks at the realization that none of this was a coincidence, and rather that I planned my murder scene at the place where my murder first started rolling down an eager slope of snow. I almost muster a laugh.

I finally reach my desired location, the Ferris wheel where it all began. A slight pause holds the world for a moment, a crack in my power, a hesitation that I quickly dismiss with a shiver, before procuring my bottle of pills.

I breathe in the sound of the cap clicking against the body of the container, how it's been untangled from the plastic in no time, and once the seal is out of the way, I dump out all of the medicine onto my palm, tossing the bottle to the ground.

Glancing up to see my apartment building behind the mass of other structures, I offer one last smile to it as a parting gift, and tip the pills back into my throat.

And I've never been happier.

Meanwhile, in the shadowy tresses of night, a pensive soul awakes.

Alone.

~~~~~

A/N: I'm finally done ya yeet

hope you enjoyed idk if you did leave a comment if you want..thanks, kids

It's amazing that I actually finished this book in less than a week wow

~Dakota