Eli

ELI

"Do you sell weed?"

"I beg your pardon?" Eli looked down at the kid who had interrupted his luncheon smoke break and frowned, which somehow made him look equally scary and handsome at the same time.

The kid, probably a silly ninth grader who wanted to 'fit in' gulped and stared at Eli with eyes as wide as saucers. "I-uh-do you? Sell it, I mean?"

Grinding his cigarette against the tree he had decided had the best view of the ninth grade girls' gym class, Eli sighed "Listen kid, I don't sell anything to anyone."

Looking troubled, the kid fixed his glasses; he was making a fool of himself and didn't even realize. "Do you know who does?"

"What's your name?" he asked, crossing his arms and smirking.

"Kevin?"

Rolling his eyes, Eli pushed off the tree. "Is that a question, Kevin?"

Kevin looked at him nervously "Uhh...no?"

"Good. Now, get lost – and don't go up to people asking if they sell weed, for fucks sake."

Walking back across the field, he smiled as the new guidance counsellor, Ms. Hendricks, tried to make her way towards him as her heels sunk into the grass.

"Eli," she sighed, crossing her arms "Your foster mother will be furious if we don't have a talk before she arrives. You were supposed to be in my office fifteen minutes ago."

"Takes two to get out of the school, three to walk across the field and the rest to have my cig and wait for you to show up, Lisa." He smirked as she twitched slightly at the use of her first name. He loved teasing his guidance counsellors.

"Come with me, Elijah." Turning around, she marched back towards the school.

"Oh, goodie!" he exclaimed, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his jeans and following her back across the field into the school, were her office was located near the front. He felt her watching him when he left, enjoyed winking at her as he passed the glass window of her office in the hall. She was just so fun to mock.

The office was cramped and smelled strongly of 'love tea', which Ms. Hendricks imported all the way from Turkey, and offered to all her students when they 'behaved'. Eli didn't get tea much.

"Sit down, Elijah."

Sinking into the chair, Eli put his feet up on the opposite and clasped his hands "What do want to tackle today, Lisa? Abandonment, smoking...How about girls? We both know that's your favourite."

Pursing her lips, Ms. Hendricks eyed him with annoyance. She couldn't figure him out, Eli knew; smart kid that smoked (with a history of a heart condition to boot), highest-grade average in math and science class, lowest attendance record. He sat in the back but did better than those in the front – he used the reputation of a kid in foster care to his advantage. And hell, why not? If your life comes with a reputation, why turn against the slot fitted for you?

"You skipped math today, Eli."

"Really?" Eli faked surprise. "I hadn't noticed."

"Why did you skip, and be honest. I don't want your bullshit."

Smirking, Eli settled back in his chair – when counsellors started to swear it was a good sign. They were either warming up to you or about to quit.

"Mr. What's his name-"

"Mr. Antonio."

"Yeah, him. He keeps pronouncing my name EE-lie-JAH."

Shhh Elijah, it's our little secret.