| FrAmara AU |

[ Warning: Angst ]

(Amara belongs to Amara_F_Jones)

"I'm fine, I promise."

Those words were the words Francis Bonnefoy held onto. Whenever he'd doubt himself about her health, he'd just remember that. She was fine, and he had no need to worry.

But he didn't know she was country that was dying, and would soon fade away, regardless of his own efforts. It would take more than one country alone to save her.

He was in the hospital room, just him, Amara, the doctors, and his newborn daughter, Camille. The doctors were holding the baby, while Francis was on his knees beside the bed. Amara managed a weak smile as she saw Francis beside her.

"Please," Amara began in a shaky voice, a tear rolling down her face. "Don't worry so much, I'll be fine."

France watched in fear. Fear that he was going to lose her. He was completely speechless.

Amara choked on her own words. "F-Francis... I love you." Her breathing slowed down, and her eyes closed, as the rest of her begun to fade.

And then that sound that Francis despised.

The long screech of the machine beside her, painted with the straight line of doom.

Francis screamed with tears in his eyes. "Amara!" He jumped up, grabbing her hand and refusing to let go. Two doctors rushed behind him and grabbed him, making sure he wouldn't do anything drastic. Francis kept yelling for her to come back.

But she couldn't.

She was gone.

Francis fell on his knees, water flowing down from his eyes. He shook his head and hissed.

"Love is s-stupid. It's fake. Nobody needs it. Just when you think you've find the right one, love comes around and stabs you in the heart. I have been lied to my whole life. I don't need love. Love is for idiots." He sobbed into his hands, as the doctors fearfully watched.

No, after that, Francis was different. He spoke to nobody about that. On the outside he faked being his normal self, but on the inside he was cold. Cold because he realized the true harsh reality of life.

His daughter, Camille, never knew what actually happened. Francis had told her the part that he was a country, but whenever she would ask about her mother, he would refuse to speak to her. Camille learned to stop asking about it altogether.

Arthur Kirkland, one of his "friends," had noticed his changes. Even though Francis was his normal annoying self around others, he completely stopped flirting, stopped his talk about love. Whenever someone would ask about love advice, he'd never respond. Arthur figured out eventually that France's wife had died.

Funny, Arthur never even knew his wife. Or at least Arthur had always believed he never knew her. Some faint thing stuck in his mind about her, Arthur just couldn't pinpoint it.

The part that broke France the most was Alfred Jones, Amara's older brother. Alfred asked him, "What's wrong, dude? You're not normally like this!" Alfred exclaimed, poking Francis in the cheek.