Chapter 1: Welcome to My Life

*** Hi! So I really wanted to start off this story with you seeing how Mallory's life is, so then later on you are able to see the contrast between hers and Calums lives. I really hope that you enjoy reading this and I can't wait to share my ideas with you!***

'I walk around in that school and feel completely invisible. I feel like my insecurities are on display for everyone to see. I'd give anything to just leave now. Not just leave the building, but this life.'    I scribbled into my journal while laying in my bed. 

I was in the eighth grade when my parents got divorced. I know what you're thinking, 'You're a junior in high school get over it already.'  And I wish that I could. The divorce was bad. It ruined everyone..
My dad shortly lost his job, and then ended up in jail. My mom quickly met a new man, and then ended up marrying him. Which caused me to be moved from my old school where everything was good. Now I am at a posh high school, where material items are the only matter to these people. 

I used to love who I was, and always tried to make the best out of every situation. I can't do that anymore. 

Walking into the bathroom, I stared at the mess of my hair. I grabbed my dark locks and put it into a messy bun. I sighed and shook my head, that was going to be good enough. 

Getting ready for school was always the same for me. Maybe someday's I would put my hair into a braid, but it mostly was in the bun. I winged my eyeliner, and added mascara. Looks didn't really matter all that much to me. Especially for school, who am I trying to impress? 
Although I go to a private school, we don't have to wear uniforms. There is a dress code though, we have to dress business casual. No jeans, or sweats. Don't even try to wear leggings, unless you're one of the kids whose parents have a lot of money because then you can get way with it. 

I wear skirts most of the time. And today was the same, just like any other day.

I drive myself to school everyday. I sit and wait for my friends to arrive so then that way I don't have to walk in the hallways by myself. I feel so insecure, and like everyone is watching. Even though that's not how it is at all.
No one really notices me at school, except for my two friends. I think we're the cool kids because we don't care about how much money either one of us has, or what we have or don't have. It's personality that matters to us. 

Olivia and Emilyn pulled into the space next to me and waved. I waved back and got out of my car to greet them. These girls were always so reliable and actually cared enough about me to always ask if I was doing okay. 

It was great to have them not just to have someone to sit with at lunch, but also because of the support system I had in them.

"Hey Mal!" They said in unison as they got out of the car. I smiled, "Hey! I don't want to jinx it but, I kind of have a good feeling about today." 

"Aw, Mal, that's good!" Emilyn gave me a hug as we started walking into the building. 

Olivia sighed, "I hope you're right because I'm going to need a good day." 

Our school building was quite big for such a small school, in numbers that is. The student size wasn't that big. You'd see everyone that went to school everyday. Everyone knew everyone, or knew of everyone. 

To me, school wouldn't be all that bad if I actually had classes with my friends. The only time we get see each other is during lunch, after school, and before school. 

I had all of my classes with the popular kids of my grade. That meant the people who could buy me and my family, and the kids who didn't care about school, and made everyone laugh. 
For example, the first class of the day I have biology. There is this guy that is known by everyone because he's attractive and everyone likes him. He doesn't care about school, but is always the center of attention. He comes late to class everyday. Actually he goes to every class on his schedule late, and I know that because I'm in all of his classes. 

He is Calum Hood. 

I've never really talked to him, just because I assume him to be just like the people he hangs around. They're not the kindest. 

I was sitting in biology waiting for class to begin so I was on my phone. Scrolling impossibly deep in my timeline to pretend to be really into something, so no one bothered me. I could hear them snickering in the back of the classroom about me.
"I wonder why she always has her hair like that, like put some pride into how you look." Allison said to the others. She was your typical girl. Blonde hair, icy blue eyes. She always dressed so nice and made sure she always looked her best. 

"I know she'd actually be pretty, if she threw on a little bit more makeup." 

"Hell. She'll never be the slightest bit of good looking." One of the guys said. Brett, I think.

The way that they talk about people is so bad. Coming to school is like being in a pageant, you're being judged about everything. From the way you walk, the way you do your hair, and even how you speak. 

They don't care about hurting feelings. Like I said before, all they care about is themselves. 

Like normal, Calum came through the doors 30 minutes into the 45 minute class. When Calum walks in, the whole class pays attention to him. His dark curls were always messy, but it still looked good. His body was so lengthy, but also muscular.
He was a beautiful human. Too beautiful to ever notice a girl that would be pretty if she threw on a little more makeup

His confidence took over the room. He was one of the kids that didn't need to exactly follow the dress code because of his family. He never made any eye contact with anyone besides his friends. He wore dark sunglasses, and dark skinny jeans. Sometimes he'd throw in a button down shirt.

Being shoved, and pushed in the hallways was normal. This was the only time of the day I didn't feel completely ignored. It's like people were aiming for me. 

"How's your day going, Mallory?" Olivia asked as she sat down next to me for lunch. I sighed, "Hm let's see, like no other day they were trying to make me feel worthless. Calum strolled into first period 30 minutes late, but he was kind of on time for the others. I did get my test back in pre-calculus and I got a 89%. Pretty ordinary day." I shrugged.

Emilyn and Olivia went to school together all years before high school. "It's weird how much Calum has changed. He used to take pride in his grades. He always had such a kind heart, I wonder what happened." Emilyn said to me. 
"Ever since he started hanging out with them, I feel like that changed him." Olivia twirled her already curled hair, "I wish you could have known him then." 

---

Being at home was almost as bad as being at school. It was hard to be myself at home. Ever since my mom remarried, her personality changed. She acted more like her new husband, who was boring and had an attitude that changed every two seconds.
His attitude depended on who was around at the time. Like if my mom is home, he'll be so nice to me, but if she isn't around it's like hell. I just wanted her to be happy. If that man made her happy, then my feelings didn't matter. 

 I spent most of my time in my bedroom, drawing and listening  to music with meaning. I didn't care if a song was trendy, I cared about the words and how a song could impact the way you feel. I liked the way a song could completely change your mood.

That was something that I admired about Calum. He had this playlist of songs, but they weren't popular songs. They all had a meaning to them. 

I knew that deep down, he wasn't like the rest of them.