Chapter 4

In another few minutes, my makeup was fixed and Eric and I were out the door. I wanted to walk to the Den, that way we could talk.

“So, what’s up?” Eric looked at me with those awesome green eyes of his.

“I went with Jenny and Alice to the Art Flea Market today. I sort of told you that on the phone. Anyway, I bought some wolf stuff done by an artist who disappeared. I told you about the knives and the totem. Remember?”

“Yeah, but you said you wanted to talk to me about some tiles.”

“I do. The girl who showed them to me . . . wait. The tiles were like those ones you put on your floor. You know what I mean?”

“Yeah.” Eric glanced behind us.

I looked back, too, but didn’t see anything. Studying his face for a moment, I noted his furrowed brow, which made me a bit nervous. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” He shook his head. “I just know you’re upset. Finish telling me about these tiles.”

“So anyway, the tiles had landscape scenes painted on them. When I looked at them, I saw wolves running and playing in them. You know, like watching TV. I asked the lady who showed them to me about the wolves, but she couldn’t see them.”

Eric rubbed his jaw. “So you think they were magic of some kind? Why didn’t you let me see them while we were at your house?”

“Let me finish.” I said. “There’s more to the story.”

“Sorry. Go ahead.”

As we walked through the cool night air, I continued. “Anyhow, I went into the forest and sat down to look my stuff over. When I was at the gallery, there were two wolves in each tile. When I sat down in the woods, all the wolves were in the same tile. Even if the wolves were placed in the tiles by magic, how did they move from one tile into the other one?”

The street was darker now, and nervousness shot through me, leaving me feeling  a little vulnerable so I moved closer to him.

“Well, if the tiles were under the same spell, things could possibly move from one to the other.” Eric stopped and scanned the area.

“What is it? Do you hear something?”

He shook his head. “No, I just don’t want anyone to overhear us discussing magic stuff. Don’t say anything else till we get to the club.”

“Are we being watched?” 

Eric grabbed my hand and led me forward. “I’m not sure. Keep walking.”

The conversation died. I glanced around. One hit on the head was enough for today. I clung to Eric’s side, knowing he might be able to protect me even though he was a mere second level wizard, one of the lower classes.

The mile from my house to the Den seemed to stretch further and further,  But eventually, I heard the beat of the music wafting toward us. We were just about to cross the street to the bar, when I pulled Eric to a stop.

“What?” he asked.

“I need to tell you, I suspect one of the wolves in the tile was the kid in this band who plays lead guitar.”

Eric’s eyebrows shot up. “Really?”

He looked so cute in that instant.

“I’m not sure. I asked him where he was today. The band said they’d been here all afternoon practicing.”

Eric cocked his head. “Why did you think it was him?” 

“I’m not sure, other than the color of its hair and eyes. Maybe it was just my imagination, but you know how I can sense things magical. He might have been lying. But I can’t shake the feeling it was him.”