Forbidden Essence : Anne

Forbidden Essence

Chapter 4 : Anne

“In here!” John whispered across the corridor. I giggled as Alexander watched out for the guards and then quickly dragged me towards the room.

“Where are we going?” I whispered to him,

“To Anne.” He replied. My blood ran cold and I froze to the spot. Alexander had been holding my hand, and he stopped with me, “What happened?” he asked, confused,

“No! I am not going to Anne! She’s never going to forgive me.” I told him, dread filling me. I was still confused about what has happened in the past hour, and now I’m going straight back to my lock-up that I escaped from.

“Shh,” he said, kneeling down. He pushed the hair back from my face, “She’s not going to do anything. You’re not going to be imprisoned again. I promise you.” I stared into his eyes, badly hoping that he’s telling the truth.

“Do you trust us?” John said, coming behind Alexander. I stared at their faces for a moment. They watched my face expectantly, their eyes had this hope full glint that I knew would break if I said no. I didn’t have the heart to tell them the truth.

“I...yes...” I replied and instantly their faces lit up with wide smiles.

“Then let’s go.” John said, impatience slowly marking his features. I bit my lip and looked up at Alexander. He smiled at me and took a hold of my hand and then we followed John down a dark and cold staircase. I was suddenly scared in the darkness, the cold stone floor making chills run up from my bare feet. We finally arrived to a place with rooms everywhere. Most doors were closed tightly, but a few were open wide, light spilling from a light source inside.

“What is this place?” I asked,

“This is the servant’s quarter,” Joh

n replied, turning to me. The light of the oil lamps illuminated half of his face, making him look mysterious, and incredibly beautiful. The fact that he called me his ‘baby’ sister shocked me. Instantly I knew he was mistaken or he was lying. But, being the innocent, gullible and naive child, I didn’t believe them but still followed them willingly. John abruptly halted when he reached a door. I instantly felt my heart quicken and I felt cold.

Very cold.

I felt like I had betrayed Anne somehow, I didn’t want to see the look of horror and fear and hatred on her face as she hears what I had done. I don’t want to be exiled form her heart, I didn’t want to see the look of contempt on her face. I didn't know what I would do, a tremble making its way up my spine. I looked up at Alexander, but he was looking around at the rooms and John who had just enterred one of the rooms. I made a sudden decision and spun around and darted towards the stairs.

"No!" I could hear Alexander cry, "Arabella, come back!" I didn't listen and hurried up the stairs,

"What is going on? Why are you shouting?" John's voice echoed. My feet nearly slipped on the cold stairs and they seemed suddenly so endless,

"John grab her! She's running away!" Alexander cried. I took a chance and turned to turn around. I gave out a small cry of surprise when John's arms tightly circled my small waist. I began struggling and crying. I thrashed against him and yanked on his shirt. He winced and grimaced but didn't loosen his arms. Tears began rolling my cheeks and I thrashed with more power.

"Arabella, shh," Alexander said frantically, grabbing a hold of me,

"No! Leave me! I don't want to be here!" I cried and struggled to get away from him. He grabbed me and pulled me against his chest. My face was against him and my voice muffled as I wailed, trying desperately to get away.

"Shh, nothing will happen to you. I'll protect you, shh," he kept on murmurring but I wouldn't listen. I didn't stop struggling or wailing at the top of my lungs until her voice echoed in the dark room.

"Arabella?" Anne's voice rang in the room, echoeing. I instantly froze, my voice trapped in my throat. Alexander's arms loosened and I looked up to see her shocked and fearful face staring at me. As I looked around I realized all of the servants and maids had left their rooms to see what the ruckus was about. They all stood around, watching me. Watching me as if I was a bug under their scruntinizing and shocked gazes.

"A-anne," my voice broke as more tears spilled. This was it. She was going to disown me. Her face instantly softened at the sound of my voice and she ran to me, shoving Alexander out of the way roughly. She dropped to her knees and grabbed me, pulling me to her chest,

"Shh, its okay. You're safe now, its okay." she murmurred. Her scent of lavender calmed me instantly, except the fact that maybe she thought that I was roughly brought here against my will kept running in my head and I shook it furiously. I pulled away and she stroked my face, pushing the strands of hair behind my ears,

"No, Anne," I sobbed, "I don't deserve this. I ran away and they found me, I'm so sorry." I couldn't help the hiccups that came after that. Anne stared at me, frowning. She glanced up at Alexander and then John. She glanced back at me her frown disappearing to a weary smile. She sighed and stood up, pulling my against her,

"It's okay Bella, don't cry no more. I'm not angry." I looked up at her, sniffling. She smiled and I tightened my grip on her, snuggling my face against her stomach. She stroked my face as she glanced at the two men who were 'supposedly' my brothers.

"I knew this was going to happen." she shook her head stroking my cheeks, "But I had not expected it to be so soon."

Alexander's voice was rather angry as he spoke, "I understand you had to hide her from father, but that did not mean you had to hide her from us!" I glanced back at him to see his hands fisted and shaking with rage. John was behind him, standing with his arms crossed, but he seemed to be watching me. He smiled reassuringly and I glared at him. All because of him. I would have been gone into the village by now if he had not been there when I had fallen. He smirked as if he knew what I was thinking and stuck his tongue out, I continued to glare.

"Your father had ordered me specifically to never present her before the kingdom. That meant everyone. Do you understand?" she growled, "Your anger is directed towards the wrong person my Prince. As much as I respect you, you are wrong." My head snapped towards Alexander and I watched him as he watched Anne and then his face sombered.

"I do understand Anne. My father is a broken man, but what would have mother thought of this?" he waved his hand towards me, "How do you think she would feel of what has been done to my poor little sister?" he asked pulling me away from Anne. Anne didn't resist but she watched him as he hugged me softly. I didn't return the hug, but I admit, it felt good. I felt warm all over, I had family. And wasn't just any family.

I was royalty.

I gulped and pulled back. I glanced at Anne and returned my gaze to John, "After so much happening, I believe I am ready for the truth." Anne hung her head, her dark hair with slight white strands slipping out of the knot behind her head. She looked up around us, her eyes weary but levelled. As if sending out a silent message, the servants instantly cleared the room and went into their designated rooms.

She sighed, straightening her shoulders and smoothing out her skirts. My heart picked up its speed, finally, the day I've been waiting for so long has finaly come!

"Let us go into my room. It's time little Arabella find out the truth about her circumstances."

-------------------------------------------------

I appologize for the extremely long wait!

With exams out of the way, I am now free ! Uploads will now pick up their normal rhythm. Support is immensely appreciated, show it through your votes and comments ! :)