08: "Misjudgement"

I'd replayed the quarrel inside my mind many times, the guilt weighed heavily on my chest but I was too nervous to face Oberyn. My apologies only being heard in silent prayers sent to the gods in a hope of guidance.

My heart and mind were not agreeing, one screaming to rush into Oberyn's arms and the other shouting to hold my ground, stubbornly avoiding him. The former being more persistent had lead me to stand hidden behind a sequence of columns whilst Oberyn trained his spear work in the outdoor arena.

I was content watching him from afar, it eased my feverish heart and satisfied my mind.

He dodged to the side, swiftly moving in fluid movements. Deziel, his partner, glided his spear through the air and swiveled it in Oberyn's direction. I was enraptured by Oberyn, his biceps tensed as he thrust his own spear forward effortlessly blocking Deziel's jab. I could tell that Deziel was tiring of the sport; sweat dripped from his hair running down his face in streaks and his strides lagged in speed.

Deziel let out a mighty cry as Oberyn twisted his body with his remaining energy to pin him to the floor, effectively winning the match by disarming his partner.

My betroth smiled at his win and took a moment to control his rapid breathing, I watched as he reached a hand down to help Deziel and whisper a remark into his partner's ear. From my position on the side of the patio I could hear very little of their conversation but Deziel's wondering eyes gave me the idea that my hiding place maybe wasn't as hidden as I once thought.

Just as I turned my body away and took the first step to leave the training grounds Papa's advice came to mind, he will understand.

"I know you're there." His voice was barely recognisable, the stern tone reverberating through my bones.

I angled my head away from the column to see Oberyn standing by himself, Deziel seemingly vanished from the scene. I took a deep breath, preparing to move away from my hiding place.

"Oberyn."

My breath hitched in my throat, she was here. All I felt was anger and envy, every other emotion pushed out of my being because of her. I positioned my body further against the column in hope of being undiscovered yet still being able to observe the scene unfolding before me.

"Oberyn."

He stood still watching Ellaria saunter in his direction, his expression was unwavering and one of being forced to endure an unpleasant meeting. It was a small slip of emotion and it brought a smile to my face, he didn't want her here that much I could tell. 

I felt guilty, but I couldn't stop. My jealousy for the Dornish Woman wouldn't let me walk away from their private conversation.

"I told you to stay away Ellaria." His words were spat out with a coldness almost foreign to me, his eyes set on her confident form.

It seemed Oberyn's words had reached deaf ears as Ellaria strided towards him, wrapping her arms around his waist. Anger boiled in the pit of my stomach, churning at the sight of her hands on my betroth.

Oberyn's eyes popped, his neck strained and his face simmered with an unrestrained rage.

"I would appreciate your departure from King's Landing immediately." He snarled more than spoke, lifting her stiff hands away from his body and placing them at her sides. A cold fury was evident in her eyes, burning with a dangerous intensity.

I took a step closer to the cold stone providing me refuge. I eyed Ellaria carefully as she narrowed her eyes in Oberyn's direction, the tremble in her lower lip showcased the dent he just caused her ego. 

"It's because of her isn't it?" She spat out a cruel laugh echoing her statement. "You have fallen in love."

"Yes."

"She is nothing." She sneered taking a step closer to Oberyn, her hands curled into fists.

Oberyn ran his hand through his overgrown hair and fixed Ellaria in a cold stare. "Kendra is twice the Lady you ever were."

"You are mine." She shouted hysterically, her face draining of blood to a deadly white, a scary contrast to her dornish skin tone.

Oberyn took a hold of her reaching hands, "Not anymore." Then let them go ruffly and turned his back to the woman. "You were a partner to me once but Kendra is mine now as I am hers, I will not let you ruin this marriage."

"Oberyn, I-"

"Leave Ellaria, please leave." He turned his head to give her a gesture of goodbye, I could see his eyes softening at her vulnerable state. Ellaria hesitantly gave a small nod and retreated from the patio.

From what I had been told Ellaria was a strong woman with a fiery personality, yet she left with little to no questions.
Her quick retreat left me in a state of confusion, why would she retract her claws off Oberyn so soundlessly? But then again the woman's decisions were erratic or so the rumours told. I wouldn't lie and say I wasn't happy about her swift departure.

To think Oberyn had willingly invited Ellaria into the Red Keep was obscene now that I had a rational mind upon my head. Regardless of his feelings for me, I'm the King's first born daughter and any man would be a fool to bring along their paramour. 

My jealousy had thrown away my rationalism, I had wrongfully let it rule my judgement and now Oberyn and I were in a fruitless argument.

I could see that Oberyn was in pain. It didn't matter whether it be from letting Ellaria go or our own argument, it was partly my fault.

"My lady?"

I lifted my eyes from my folded hands to see Ada striding towards me. I rushed forward rapidly on my hands and knees to tug Ada down into a crouching position. I placed my forefinger on my lips in a signal to silence her. Oberyn was only a few feet away from us, he had undoubtedly heard Ada's arrival.

"My lady, why must we be on the floor?" Ada whispered, tugging my hands into her own.

"Oberyn is in the arena Ada, he mustn't hear us."

A sad smile etched it's way onto my maid's face, "Oberyn is not present in the arena my lady, I have just seen him walking to his quarters."

"Oh, of course," I said keeping my eyes on my our joined hands. I hadn't realised Oberyn had left whilst I was consumed in my thoughts. "Excuse my misjudgment, I was lost in thought."

"My lady, you mustn't apologise." She says, softly rubbing her thumbs against the back of my hands.

"Ada, I believe I've made a mess of things" I sigh for what feels like the millionth time today. "Have I misjudged the situation? They are both hurting because of me and Father's treaty, not to mention the children."

"You may have acted rashly Princess but you're still young and you have a lot to learn." She lets go of my hands and takes ahold of my upper arms to help us both up from the stoned flooring. "Let me get you into a warm bath, it will surely lift your spirits."

I nodded in agreement, Ada's words floating around my mind, wondering when my next encounter with Oberyn would arise.