Chapter 1

It was snowing. Frisk looked out the window. The white powder caked upon the rooftops reminded her of Snowdin. Those images of pine trees, all lined up and frosty at the tips, were already fading from her memory. She hadn't been there in years. But as much as she missed those warm log cabins, Frisk was content with her new home.

After the underground was opened, most of the monsters left immediately. King Asgore organized a team of architects and builders who swiftly constructed a new village for the monsters to live in. The houses and shops were nothing special compared to the underground cities. But this village rested under stars by night and the life-giving sun by day. The King named this new place 'Village'. And the monsters all loved him too much to tell him to pick a better name.

Frisk walked over to the kitchen table. Her fingers curled around a glass and she took a sip before putting it back on the cedar wood surface. A blue envelope, with her name on it, stood out from the clutter. The return address was from Taurville, a human city. Her heart lit up when she saw the name of the sender. Monster Kid.

I haven't heard from you in months. Frisk tore it open and unfolded the paper within. The message was short as always.

Dear Frisk,

School has been fine. 

This semester's classes are fun.

 Hope you're doing well.

-MK

Three short sentences. That was it? Frisk wondered why Monster Kid even bothered to write such a dull letter. She found herself crumpling it up in frustration. Then, as reason returned to her, Frisk smoothed it out again. 

Paper in hand, she crossed the hallway and ran up the stairs. In her room, she put the new letter in a drawer with all the previous ones. Pushing the drawer closed, Frisk sat down on her bed. Why did MK's family have to move away to an established human city? Just because Taurville was friendly toward monsters, didn't mean monsters should move there. Living among humans, away from your friends and community must feel like total isolation. Frisk stared down at her folded hands. It must be hard.

*                        *                   *

"...And then I PULVERIZED that punk, making him swear to never steal from his classmates agai-" Undyne's tale of glory stopped and she gave Sans a disapproving glare.

The skeleton guzzled down a bottle of ketchup. Everyone stared at him. "What?"

"Do you have to do that?" Undyne asked.

Sans looked from Frisk to Papyrus, then back at Undyne. "Yep. Eating is essential for continued living."

Undyne bared her teeth and was getting out of her seat when Frisk said, "Where's Alphys?"

The skeleton brothers looked around Grillbys.

Undyne folded her arms. "She's back in her lab studying."

"Did King Asgore give her a new project?" Papyrus asked.

The Captain of the Royal Guards smirked. "No. Alphys is studying for a class we're taking together at the recreational center."

"What class are you taking?" Frisk asked, interested.

"Tree climbing."

Frisk stared ahead blankly. "No, seriously. How is that a class?"

Undyne leaned back. "Tree climbing is an art apparently. We're taking it so Alphys can get over her fear of heights."

Sans laughed. "That's great. Alder any of yew in the class that aspen to the Northern forest?"

Frisk faced palmed.

Papyrus gripped his skull in pain.

Undyne ignored the pun. She'd heard them all. "No one's been to the Northern Forest. The wild animals that live there are too dangerous for civilians to take on."

"Wait," said Frisk. "Let me get this straight, Alphys is in her lab, reading about how to properly climb trees?" 

Undyne nodded as if it was all perfectly normal. Her eyes suddenly ignited with passion. "Hey I know! We should all take a class together! I can't have you punks just sitting around!"

Everyone agreed.

"Which class should we take?" Papyrus asked.

"Archery." said Undyne like it was a done deal.

"Or fencing!" said Papyrus.

"How about chess?" said Sans. 

"You're just saying that because you're lazy and board games lack physical effort," said Undyne.

Frisk held up her hands. "Let's pick a class everyone will like."

Undyne glanced about, grimacing. "I'm not sure that's possible."