Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Syntax Error
Unknown Command
DANGER! Multiple Processors Offline
WARNING! CPU Core Voltage Under
WARNING! Clock Voltage Under
Volatile Memory Damage
Load Bootstrap?
(Y/N)?
Wait timed out waiting for input...

I drifted, warm, fuzzy. No pain, for the first time in memory I didn't hurt anywhere. I felt myself coming part. Memories sparked, fizzled, faded, and died away. They didn't hurt me. They had no content, just random spitzes of sensory input that collapsed and vanished.

Load Bootstrap?
(Y/N)?
Wait timed out waiting for input...

...you're dying...

...so?...

...you're dying, dumbass...

...but it's warm here, and i don't hurt...

...dying...

...it doesn't matter. it's never mattered...

...why?...

...i'm just a boy...

my voice. arguing with my voice.

Load Bootstrap?
(Y/N)?

my voice was right. i was just a boy. boys don't matter. it was time to cash the check that i'd written to the american government and people. you know the one: pay to the order of the us government and citizens, up to and including my life.

Timed out waiting for input...

a ditch is a fine place for a thing like me to finish out the last few heartbeats in as the check was cashed.

a memory surfaced. this one was different.

a brown haired woman, with brown eyes, a scar on the side of her face, her expression angry. she was naked, large, heavy breasts, slightly sagging, capped with brown nipples, with a scar on the left one. a redhead. tiny. pixie-ish. tiny breasts upthrust and capped with fiery red nipples. green eyes snapping in anger, like the blue sparks sparking in her long curly red locks. another brunette. button nose. blue eyes. proud breasts. pink nipples. anger on her face. all of them staring down at me, angry, eyes like fire.

...but you're our boy, and you do not have our permission to die...

loading emergency core from deep storage
activating emergency protocol system
lizard.bin loading
scanning lizard.bin

it was lightning that hit me at the same time as their words, crackling across my body, making muscles involuntarily contract, making my limbs tremble slightly as the lightning dug deep into my body, deep into my brain, and lit up something at the base of my skull, under where i lived, under the veneer of civilization, something older, darker, stronger...

WARNING! lizard.bin CRC ERROR
Repair sequences engaged
Repair sequences failed
lizard.bin is 3.72% usable

the lizard was lying in a pool of blood, hands inside of the shattered and scorched panel, his eyes open and unseeing. he was panting, his tongue hanging out, a leg broken, his tail crooked, one eye crushed into oblivion, and blood leaking from his nose. he blinked, slow, one eye, and his claws scrabbled inside the control panel.

brun lizard.bin
executing...

The lizard shot back from the panel, electricity crackling across its body, covering the metal panels, shattering the plastic covers on gauges and readouts. Something exploded behind the outline of my body and the glass showered over the little guy, who covered his head with his little arms till the shrapnel and electricity stopped.