Confirmation

2/19th Special Weapons Group Area
Secure Area, Alfenwehr
West Germany
29 October, 1987
1630 Hours

Everything slowed down.

Eight people at the table, counting me. Two men at the far end of the bench table, three women on my side, two opposite of me, with "Captain" Rebel in front of me. Bacon fat lamp in the middle of the table. Three other tables in the room, empty. Four windows across from me, the wan light filtering through the snow having faded to nothing. One man behind me, armed with a pistol. A single door behind me.

The lizard had already thrown the map to the chow-hall up. Main room designed to fit two hundred at once with eight bench tables capable of seating fourteen on this side of the room, ten on the opposite, and six normal tables seating ten down the middle, sixty people sitting at the benches. The tables were gone, but they had been wood. At the back was a single set of double doors, two male bathrooms on the left, two female bathrooms on the right, mop closet between the male, supply closet between the female. Fry line, small hallway with a desk on my side, dogleg, then door. Behind fry line was the main kitchen. Unisex bathroom. Cleaning supply closet. Mop closet. Double doors. Pantry. Back loading dock.

On the side of the map of the chow-hall was an air pressure and elevation marked map.

The lizard knew the escape routes.

Wet fire slid down my spine, pain washed away, and everything went into overdrive as the bandage came off my head and exposed my ruined eye. The woman who had yanked me around  by my headband was staring, her eyes wide, as that side of my face was exposed to light and she saw the bruising, the scarred, and that one red eye.

I was staring at her as my hand came forward, my fist sinking deep into her side. Her mouth opened in agony but I was already moving, turning in the seat, both hands coming up. Seize control of the pistol arm with one hand, chop at the inside of the elbow, pull down, use the momentum from the pistol wielder pulling back to help pull me around, up on my feet. My knee brace squealed, my knee almost buckled, and the lizard flooded more adrenaline and endorphins into my system.

The man hadn't shaved, his blurry face contorted with sudden fear as his arm collapsed at the elbow and he realized I still had control of his arm. I yanked him forward, pulling him down, so he went face first on table, my hand around the back of his neck as I stared at "Captain" Rebel.

And slammed the knife into the man's back.

He screamed, loudly, but it choked it off as I rammed my knee up between his legs and crushed his balls. The pistol in his hand fell to the floor, and I held onto the grip of the Gerber as I just stared at Rebel.

The lizard was hammering the kill button.

I stared at Rebel.

"Don't make me do this," I told her. I looked down the table at everyone half up. "SIT. DOWN!"

They sat.

The guy across the table was sobbing.

"Listen to me, Captain. When your men come through that door, you get control of them or everyone in this room dies," I warned her. "First person that touches me..."

I let the threat hang.

The door behind me burst open and the lizard claimed it was four people.

"Get off..." one of them started.

"STAND DOWN!" Captain Rebel shouted.

I kept staring at her, holding onto the knife.

"Fuck..." someone started.