An imaginary friend

I looked at the boy sat on the settee in front of the television with a games console in his hands, and felt sad. I'm being replaced by a screen and a piece of plastic. 

I thought we would have longer together than this, but every time I try to talk to him now I just get ignored. I now know what it feels like to be ignored and forgotten once again. I can feel myself fading.

We used to go on quests together conquering the kingdom, saving the world, the princess, fighting pirates and dragons. In summer we would play in the garden for hours making mud pies, and castles, and forts and tree houses. We would fly kites and ride bikes and scooters. We would cast spells and defeat the baddies and make people walk the plank.

Now all I do is sit and watch him play racing cars or football on the television. I can feel myself fading away, becoming another lost and forgotten memory. He doesn't need me any more but I need him.

"Hello, my name is Casy." a little girl said as she sat down next to me. I smiled at her. She can be my new friend! We can go on new quests together and fight the pirates, and dance with fairies and defeat the bad guys.

Maybe I wouldn't have to go just yet. This can be my second chance.

"Come on, we're going on an adventure!" said the little girl as she held her hand out towards me. I smiled and took it.

"Stop talking to yourself Casy." the boy said without looking up from the television. I felt tears prick my eyes as I heard my forgotten friend.

"Don't listen to him, he's just moody. Come with me!" Casy said to me, then ran out of he room. I got up and followed her with a smile.

We would go on many adventures together, and I would always be there for her. Loyal and by her side, until she no longer needed an imaginary friend.