Kota

"I'm so sorry mother, but I have to do this. It's the best for me. I can't let him continue killing me." I tell her.

My mother, at the moment, has tears streaming down her face and is latching onto my arm as if that can prevent me from moving. I smile sadly as I realize how much I'm going to miss her. I almost give into her, but then I remember earlier today..

*Flashback

"Oh son, where are you???" I hear my father drawl as I hide underneath my bed.

Please go away, please don't find me I chant to myself. But of course, fate is not on my side as I hear my father open my bedroom door.

"I swear you son of a b****, if you don't come out in the next five seconds your punishment will be worse," he growls.

"1"

Please come home mother.

"2"

Don't go out there Kota, he's telling you lies. No matter what, his punishment will still be deathly.

"3"

I move my leg a little bit as to get out, but then I stop myself. Don't get out I chant.

"4"

I guess my body has a mind of its own as it starts shifting from my position to get out...

"5"

I roll out from under my bed, and look up at my father. He looks more devilish than usual and has a crazy grin on his face. As I try to get up, he kicks me in the face and I collapse back to the floor.

"Haven't I told you to stop bragging about your grades at school!! Why do you have to show off to everyone! Do you think you're better than everyone else!"

"No-no father, the teacher was the one who told the class about my score. She tells the top score for every tes-"

I get interrupted by my father slapping me across the face.

"DO NOT BLAME THIS ON YOUR TEACHER!! SHE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!!"

"You're just saying that because you've
f***** her before," I mumble under my breath.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME!!"

Uh oh. Nice going Kota. I mentally facepalm myself.

"Don't think you won't get punished for this," he says as he takes out a knife from his belt.

He lunges forward me and cuts my forehead open. He then lifts up my shirt and stabs me in the stomach with it and twists it. He leaves it in their, and I double over in pain. He comes behind me, pulls my hair back, and starts slapping and punching me merciless.

"You are a disgrace to this family! You can get good grades, but bragging doesn't go anywhere without you getting punished! You don't even deserve to be in this family!Why can't you be like all the other students in Ashley Walters. Why can't you f*** other girls like every other boy does?"

"But nooooo, you have to focus on your studies and brag about your good grades. That's probably the reason why you have only one pathetic friend. The girls in your school must be disgusted by you. No wonder why you don't have a girlfriend. You embarrass my family and shouldn't even be alive. You are scum to earth," he says as he finishes off with one final punch to the face and kicks me back to the ground.

Ever hear the expression 'Words hurt more than actions'? Well that's how I feel right now. Even though I have blood running down my face, a knife in my stomach, and multiple red marks and bruises on my face, his words hurt me more.

I hear the front door slam, and realize that my father has probably went out for drinks again.

I sit up. Looking down, I slowly take out the knife in my stomach and wince at every movement. With the knife finally gone, I lean back once again and feel darkness coming over me. Maybe I should just die. I mean maybe my father is right. I'm scum to
earth and don't deserve to exist. No one liked me anyways.

That's my last thought before I pass out.

-----------------

I'm brought out of my memory and look at my mother. I show her all my emotions of hurt and pain in my expressions and she slowly lets go of my arm.

"I'm so sorry Kota. I couldn't be there for you today. I could of prevented him from hurting you," my mother sobs.

"Don't blame it on yourself mom. It's because of you that I'm alive right now. You came home at the right time," I reassure her.

"But I c-"

I interrupt her and bring her into a hug.

"Shhhh, just know how thankful I am for you right now. You've done everything you can to help me, but I need to leave."

I kiss her on the forehead and step back. I look at her one more time and say, "Don't worry, I'll come back and check on you and Jessica tomorrow."

I walk towards the door, hike up my backpack, and leave the house.

I don't know what I'm doing, or where I'm going, but I know I already feel much better that I'm going to be away from my father.

'You're not scum. You're worth something, Kota,' I chant to myself as I walk down the street and go to wherever fate takes me.