Left to Wonder

Atthe start it appeared to as nothing more than a dream. A forest builtby fantasy and the imagination of one that consumes fear, forever itis deemed to remain in it's darkness. Though the moon and stars shinebright a dense covering of cloud allows very little light down to thegnarled bleached branches of the forest trees. The inhabitants of themidnight forest scurry away from the path of a shadowy walkertrekking through the brush. In the cold blackness of the forest awarm breath flows from the figures pale lips and sparkles in the glowof the moon that shines through gaps the canopy in shards ofshimmering light.

Themidnight walker traipses through the undergrowth of the forest,exhausted, searching for food and water. While he walks thetormenting creatures in the darkness play cruel games with him.Images of monstrous beast run across his path leaping to and from theshadows. Only the moons shining light reflecting from the blade ofthe sword he carries ready shows the creatures where he stands, butnone wish to confront him for the last that did now lies decayingmess of ash beneath the tree in which it leaped from. The heart ofthe midnight walking has long since grown as cold as the air aroundhim, almost frozen and so has no pity for any of the creatures thatattack him.

Inhis search for sustenance he comes to the forest edge where he findsan open field, almost barren apart from the grey flowing grass.Standing with his hand placed on the crumbling bark of a gnarled treetrunk he watches the grass flow in waves from the coursing winds.With tired breathing he thinks back to the last time he saw light inthe forest and remembers the face of the devilish being whoimprisoned him here.

Theview of the glade brings a breath of hope in finding life in theOracle Caves, that from his findings, should be nearby. As he standswatching the majestic flow of the wind making patterns in the longswaying grass he sees movement not caused by wind but by more strangecreatures. Grotesque imps he once came across in the overgrowngardens of a castle left behind plague the field digging andscratching at the ground around him as he wades through the tallgrass. All he can do is listen carefully to the movement of the grassand the slobbering grumbles of the imps as they run by. Through thesemotions he can determine a safe passage through the glade, but hispace is slow as the imps move erratically.

Coldhearted he may be he still wishes for a scrap of food and at achance, for even just a second, an essence of warmth to remind himwhy he fights. Any rustling of grass has him swinging his swordcutting away at the grass only to hear the taunts of the imps as theygiggle grotesquely. Moving quicker through the field of grass he istripped by one of the imps who runs off laughing as he falls forwardto a clear patch of ground by the glade's only tree. As he hits theground a badge flies from out his leather jacket and comes to rest bythe roots of the tree facing him, displaying the name 'Lewis'.Standing by the lonesome tree he peers up at the hangman's branchleft crooked from the rope that slowly bled life from the convicted,guilty or not.

Heclimbs up the tree to get a better view of the glade and finds abetter path to hopefully bypass the imps. Looking out across theglade he spies many more patch of ground he could perhaps run to.Lewis also sees the executioner's rope swaying from a branch abovehim. He remains still, just for a moment, thinking before he has theidea of grabbing the rope and jumping to the next piece of clearground. The glade is still filled with the squeals from the imps thatscurry through the tall grass.

Hetakes one last look over the grass to where the next patch of groundis and climbs back down to the ground. The idea of swinging from therope is brushed aside and so he cuts the rope down tying one end tothe sword and the other to his wrist. He then plants his feet in thedry dusty soil and runs. Thankfully he makes it safely to the nextclearing but he turns around to listen to all the imps grunting andgroaning as they move in closer. Several times does Lewis run throughthe grass cleanly aggravating the imps turning their grunts to anangered growls. The movement of the imps is now far less erratic andas Lewis measures his last run through the tall grass all the imps goquiet and still.