Chapter 15

Jay watched as Tooth coaxed his brother out of bed. Jack winced, probably aching, but the Tooth Fairy seemed intent on getting him to walk.

To be honest, Jay was a little jealous and a little relieved. 

Relieved that he didn't have to get up yet, but envious of Jack's fully functioning legs. One of his own was in a cast, a useless lump underneath the soft yellow blanket, not fit for Jay to use. It seemed like it would be forever before he could walk again, even though North had said it would be three to four weeks. 

Jack gasped, leaning on the bed, each step painful. Jay watched sympathetically.

"One foot in front of the other. Yes, that's it... " Tooth smiled. Jack's footsteps were tiny.

Jay picked at the stitches of his lower lip. About a week and a half ago, he had bitten through it completely during one his usual... Punishments, at the lair. 

Stitches are horrible. They hurt to get done and to be taken out, but Jay had done of them already and once they were in, they would have to come out at some point. He clenched his hands into fists to stop them from shaking.

"It should be easier after a minute, Jack," said Tooth, "you should be up and about in no time!"

Jack didn't say anything to her. He hardly ever did, actually. It was obvious to Jay that his brother feared her the same way he did himself. He feared all of the Guardians. After all, how were they supposed to trust when the only person who hadn't hurt one of them was the other?

"Just a few more steps," Tooth promised. She must have noticed that Jack was already getting tired.

A few beads of sweat shone on Jack's forehead. He was shivering, and doing a terrible job at hiding it. Tooth probably didn't know, but Pitch often made them get up and walk when they were injured, the same way she was making the do now.

Jack took another hesitant step, and then froze. His eyes shut and he trembled, unmoving. Jay didn't need to ask to know that his twin was having another flashback.

"Jack...?" Tooth asked, her eyes clouded with worry. The Guardians had tried to find a way to stop the flashbacks, but their efforts were fruitless. 

Jay felt terrible, just laying there while Jack went back and experienced a traumatizing scene from their past all over again. He should have been able to help. He should have been able to end it. He shouldn't have been so useless.

After a moment, Jack opened his eyes again, looking pale and shaken. His hand went to his neck, fingering a long scar there.

"I think that's enough for today," Tooth said, unnerved.

Jay looked down at his hands while Jack got back into bed. Tooth sat back down on a stool, saying, "So, what can you guys do? I mean, ability-wise."

She was asking them about their powers? That wasn't allowed. It had never  been allowed. Pitch would murder them if he found out about this.

Jay looked to Jack, panicked. Apparently, Jack was just as confused as he was.

"You can tell me, you know." Tooth said, "You don't have to worry about getting in trouble. Your power are what make you, you. They're nothing to be ashamed of."

What was she talking about? Since when was that normal.

Jack said hesitantly, "We're... W-we're Winter Spirits."

"Oh, so you guys can control ice and snow?"

Jay nodded. Why was she just okay with talking about this? Just a couple of days ago, he and Jack had had their arms broken because he accidentally spread frost over the wall!

And that was without his staff. If Jay had had his staff at the moment, things could have been way worse-

His staff.

Jay's staff was still at the lair.

Jay stiffened. Jack was instantly alert, looking at his twin with wide eyes. 

Making a sign with his hand, Jay hoped that his message had gotten across clearly. 

It must have, because Jack looked like he could have slapped himself. "Our staffs... " He murmured.

"What?"

Jack didn't like to talk more than he had to, but he said nervously, "We h-have staffs for our p-p-powers... They g-got left behind at-"

"The lair," Tooth finished. "Well, I guess that means we'll have to go back for them."

Go... Back? Were the Guardians giving them back to Pitch Black? That meant more torture. More pain. More misery and fear and wanting to be dead. Jay couldn't do that again. He would loose his mind completely, and he didn't want to go crazy, not on Jack-

His breathing increased as Jay started to shake violently, gasping in panic. Not again. Not again. Not again.

Please.

Never again.

"Whoa, relax." Tooth said gently, brushing his hair out of his eyes. Jay flinched. "It's okay. We're not sending you back, if that's what you're thinking. I should have said that differently. We would never send you back to that place, ever. I just meant we'll go back eventually when you two are ready."

Jack and Jay both let out a deep breath, so relieved that they were near tears.

I'm not going back, Jay thought, relieved. I was so scared. I can't believe how lost I felt when she said that... It doesn't matter. I'm not going back.

However, deep in his heart, Jay knew that Pitch would find them and take them back. He wasn't sure when it happen, he knew it was coming. The Lord of the Shadows  would take them back and and make them suffer.

Outside, the wind picked up fiercely. Tooth frowned and went to close the windows, glaring at the dark clouds gathering on the horizon.

"It's just a storm... Wait, what? We're in the North Pole! How is that...?" She gasped.

Jay looked out the window. He could have laughed, then. Of course. Of course there would never be a break for the Frost brothers.

Because those weren't just normal storm clouds. No, far from it, actually.

Not storm clouds.

More like a hoard of Nightmares, heading straight for the Pole.

Well,  thought Jay, Welcome to my nightmare.