Chapter 2

School’s over and next year Dudley will be going to a private school called Smeltings. While me and Harry will be going to a public school called Stonewall High. “I hear that they stuff people’s heads into toilets the first day of Stonewall,” Dudley said to Harry, “Want to go practice?” “No I don’t think that the toilet can stand anything as awful as your head in it,” Harry said before running off. I laughed until my side hurt and shouted, “Nice one Harry!” 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s July now and this morning there was a terrible smell wafted from the kitchen when I woke up. It seemed to be coming from a large metal tub in the sink. “What’s this?” Harry asked. “Your school uniform. I’m dying some of Dudley’s old things grey for you. I’m also dying Zoro’s worn out clothes too. When I’m done they will look just like everybody else’s,” Aunt Petunia said. There was a click of the mail slot and Uncle Vernon said, “Dudley go get the mail!” “Make Harry do it!” Dudley said. “Get the mail Harry,” Uncle Vernon said. “Make Dudley get it!” Harry said. “Jab him with your Smelting stick Dudley!” Uncle Vernon suggested. “I’ll get,” I said picking up the mail. Bills, bills, letter for Mr. Dursley, and a letter for me and Harry. Wait.... I gave the mail except for the letter to Uncle Vernon and showed Harry the letter. It was sealed with a coast of arms and it was addressed:

Mr. H. Potter and Mr. Z. Roronoa

The Cupboard under the Stairs

4 Privet Drive

Little Whinging

Surrey

“Dad! Dad! Harry and Zoro’s got something!” Dudley said. “What!” Uncle Vernon said swiping the letter quickly from my hands. “Hey that’s ours!” Harry said. “Who’d be writing to you two?” Uncle Vernon asked opening the letter. His face went pale and he stuttered, “P...Petunia!” She read it and made a chocking noise, “Vernon! Oh my goodness Vernon!” “What do you think it says?” Harry asked me. “I hope it’s a Child Protective Services letter saying that their going to report the Dursley’s to the authorities,” I said truthfully and Harry elbowed me. “Let me see it!” Dudley said hitting Uncle Vernon with his stick. “OUT!” shouted Uncle Vernon. 

We went out of the room and Uncle Vernon shut the door. Dudley looked out the key hole and Harry looked from underneath the door. I just sat down next to the door, closed my eyes, and listened carefully. “Vernon! They can’t possibly know where they sleep! Are they watching us?” Aunt Petunia asked. “Watching, spying, might be following us,” Uncle Vernon said. “But what should we do? Should we write back? Tell them we don’t...,” Aunt Petunia said only to be cut off by Uncle Vernon saying, “No, we’ll ignore it. If they don’t get an answer...Yah that’s best...we don’t do anything...” “But..,” Aunt Petunia protested. “I’m not having that kind of stuff in my house! Didn’t we swear when we took them in we’d stamp out that dangerous nonsense!” Uncle Vernon said. “Yatsu,” I said. Harry stared at me and I said, “Gomen. Oops sorry. Well it’s not Child Protective Services.” “How can you tell?” Dudley asked. “Only an idiot would do nothing about it,” I said. 

Uncle Vernon didn’t say anything and when he came home Harry asked, “Where’s the letter? Who was writing to us?” “No one. It was addressed to you two by mistake,” Uncle Vernon said, “I’ve burned it.” “It wasn’t a mistake it had our cupboard on it,” Harry said angrily. “SILENCE!” Uncle Vernon shouted, “Er...yes, Harry...about this cupboard. Your aunt and I’ve been thinking...You two are really getting too big for it...we think it might be nice if you two moved into Dudley’s second bedroom.” “Why?” I asked suspiciously. I mean it’s awesome we get the much needed space but this sounds fishy. “Don’t ask questions!” Uncle Vernon shouted, “Now go move your stuff!” It only took me and Harry one trip to move everything we owned upstairs. There was already two beds set up for us. “Don’t let them stay there!” Dudley complained, “I need that room.” He doesn’t really need it. It’s mostly filled with all of his broken toys. I yawned and stretched out on my bed. I soon fell asleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next morning everyone was silent. Dudley was still in shock that he didn’t get what he wanted for once. The mail came again and Uncle Vernon told Dudley to go get it. “There’s another one!” Dudley said, “Mr. H. Potter and Mr. Z. Roronoa, The smallest bedroom, 4 Privet drive.” Uncle Vernon leapt up from his seat as I jumped up and we both headed for Dudley. Uncle Vernon purposely knocked a chair over in front of me. It surprised me and I tripped. I quickly got up but Uncle Vernon already got a hold of the letter. “You two go to your cupboard..I mean bedroom now!” Uncle Vernon shouted, “Dudley just go.” 

We went upstairs and came up with a plan. “We can just sneak down stairs early in the morning before anyone else gets up and grab the letter!” Harry said triumphantly. We both stayed up reading and waiting for the time the mail would be delivered. Then we both crept down the stairs and we walked over to the door. “Arrgghh!” someone screamed. We both jumped and backed away for a minute. We looked down at the floor and lying there was Uncle Vernon waiting for the mail. “Go get me some tea boys,” Uncle Vernon said. By the time we got back the mail was there in Uncle Vernon’s lap and he tore them to pieces. “Shiri,” I commented. 

The next day Uncle Vernon nailed the mail slot shut. Friday the letters arrived forced under the door and slotted through the cracks. Some were even pushed through the bathroom window. He then took some boards and nailed the cracks in the front and back doors shut so no one could go out. He then burned all of the letters. On Saturday things began to get out of hand. Letters arrived inside the 2 dozen eggs, the confused milk man gave Aunt Petunia through the kitchen window. She then shredded them in the garbage disposal. The next day Uncle Vernon announced, “No letters today! There’s no post on Sunday!” Letters started shooting out of the chimney and Harry tried to catch one. But Uncle Vernon stopped him, burned all of those letters, and said, “Only pack the necessities. We’re leaving.” I dropped my headphones, mp3, pocket knife, bandana, and some clothes into my backpack and waited at the door. Uncle Vernon snapped at Dudley when he tried to pack his T.V, VCR, and computer into his sports bag. We all got into the van and Uncle Vernon drove us to a gloomy looking hotel. 

The next morning we ate some stale cornflakes and as we finished the owner of the hotel came over to our table and said, “Scuse me, but is one of you a Mr. H. Potter or a Mr. Z. Roronoa? Only I got about an ‘undred of these at the front desk.” She held up the letter that said: 

Mr. H. Potter and Mr. Z. Roronoa

Room 17

Railview Hotel

Cokeworth

“I’ll take them,” Uncle Vernon said following her from the dinning room. “Wouldn’t it be better just to go home dear?” Aunt Petunia suggested, hours later, but Uncle Vernon didn’t seem to hear her. He drove to different places and stopped but kept going until he stopped at the coast, locked us all in the car, and left. “It’s monday,” Dudley sniffled as it started to rain, “The Great Humberto’s on tonight. I want to stay somewhere with a television.” Monday...It’s Harry’s birthday tomorrow. No doubt he’s going to count it down till 12:01 again like last time. I’ll stay up too and when the time comes I’ll give him a pocket knife I’ve bought for him with the money I got for christmas the past 3 years. 

Uncle Vernon came back smiling and said, “Found the perfect place. Come on everyone out!” Uncle Vernon was pointing at what looked like a large rock way out at sea. Perched on top of this rock was a very miserable shack. “Storm forecast for tonight! This gentleman’s kindly agreed to lend us his boat. I’ve already got us some rations!” Uncle Vernon said. We got into the boat and rowed to the shack. Uncle Vernon’s rations turned out to be a small bag of chips each and 5 bananas. I ate a banana and then tossed my bag of chips over to Harry. 

The storm came and Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia took the bed in the other room, while Dudley took the couch. I gave Harry one of my jackets from my bag and made him take the blanket too. I put on my other jacket and sat down leaning against the wall. Three minutes to go It sounded like the sea slapped hard against the rock. Two minutes to go. I heard footsteps. One minute to go. 30 seconds..20...10...9...3....2...1. “Happy birthday Harry!” I whispered sliding the pocket knife to him. “Thanks Zoro,” Harry said. All of a sudden there was a big boom. Someone was knocking at the door.