Ride to Redemption

The weekend, for Karkat, was way beyond too short. These last few days were filled with nothing but arguing, confusion, lecturing, dragged on goodbyes, and some packing in between everything.

   Now....it was Monday. Karkat stood outside with his backpack filled with clothes and hygiene supplies. The dim light of early daylight was a beautiful sight, but in this situation it didn't fucking matter to Karkat. What mattered to him now was the absolute shame he put on everyone around him.

   In the distance, he could see the bus that would lead him to his new home for a year. Why couldn't it go slower....even just a little. The bus stopped right at Karkat's feet, the rusty doors squeaking open.

   "Condy's School for Wayward Students?" Karkat hesitantly asked

   The bus driver grunted in response. More than likely, it was a yes.

    Sighing, he entered the bus, taking in the atmosphere. It was...disgusting. Like Jesus, how does something look this revolting without being on purpose!? All the seats were either torn up or had some sticky shit coating it. The windows looked smeared with mud and bugs, you could barely see anything out of it! There were no other students in the bus, but he couldn't tell it it added to the disgusting atmosphere or not!

   Karkat decided to take a torn up seat, trying to sleep away this living nightmare. Once the bus started moving, however, he soon realized that sleep would be impossible. It creaked and squeaked and rattled as if it was on the brink of breaking, very loudly at that.

   The whole trip was exhausting, every bump and sudden stop pushed Karkat to the edge. Once he got to the school's entrance, he grabbed his bag and bolted for the door.

    The first fresh breath of fresh air almost made him smile, until he realized where he was....

    Condy's School for Wayward Students.

   The school building looked completely grim. With tall, grey stone buildings, dusty windows, and the overlaying sense of dread, it almost tempted him to hop back onto the bus. But, for very obvious reasons, he decided against that.

    As the bus drives away, Karkat walks up the concrete stairs. He notices the surrounding building is closed off from the outside world by tall brick walls. Said walls were covered in scratches, smeared with paint, and guarded by several armed people. To put it short, there's not a fucking chance for Karkat to make a break for it.

  "Welcome, Karkat Vantas."  Greeted an unfamiliar voice.

   Karkat jumps up in utter surprise, not expecting someone to be here. "SHIT- !"

   The woman who greeted him snaps her fingers. "Watch your mouth, young man, or I WILL take action"

   Gulping, Karkat crosses his arms. "Okay, whatever..." He grumbles, not wanting to swallow his pride.

   "I've heard a lot about your behavior, young man," She says in a condescending manor "and I plan to fix you, no matter how many punishments I have to come up with."

   "I don't think your smart enough to come up with that many punishments to even come close" he grumbles.

   She growls "what was that!?"

   "N-nothing, nothing." Karkat, out of fear of his own well being, decided to promptly shut up.

   "Good....now, I'm Ms Condesce. I own this school, and temporarily own you." She grabs his shoulder, beginning to lead him inside.

   "You're here to learn how to be a better person through punishment, lessons, and more punishment. Any questions?"

   Karkat opens his mouth to say, "Why the fuck are you touching me?" Or possibly "I dunno, why the hell are you in charge, you wet napkin" ....but considering this woman gives him the vibe of a murderer, he shuts his mouth.

   "Good boy.... Now, to start yourself off, your first lesson is to  make friends with your room mate." She walks over to a closet and takes out a pile of clothes. "These are going to be the clothes for the rest of your year here. Your roommate will know where you wash your clothes; in your sink on ya fuckin own"

   Karkat looks at her in confusion as she hands the pile of clothes to him. "R...roommate?" He asks

   Ms. Condensce seems to pause, realizing a lesson she forgot to give. "Ah shit, you got a roommate. Your roommate is in house 4 room 13. Any other questions!? I don't have all day."

   Karkat stands very awkwardly, not knowing what to ask.

   "Good, you shut ya trap already." She gives him a toothy grin. "Now, hop to ya room before I lose my fuckin tempa"

   He complies, running into an archway labeled "4". He assumes this is the correct facility, considering he didn't see anything labeled with such a specific fucking number.

   The rooms ahead echoed with conversations obviously unfamiliar to him. He could see into some opened rooms; a blonde girl scratching at the walls with sticks, a dark haired boy stuffing a doll head with rubber snakes, a long haired girl pretending to stab someone...

   As he stepped in front of room 13, he could only hope his roommate was at the least sane.