Chapter 8: Jazlyn

“We told you to do one thing! We told you to not interfere and you disobeyed a direct order! And, look what your decisions led you! Two of your teammates are dead because of you!” Victor barked. My head was looking down, my eyes were swollen because of how much I cried. Aphrodite and Andrew were standing tall, not showing any emotions. “Why did you interfere?” Victor demanded.

“If we didn’t interfere then we could’ve ended up like the other hunters,” Aphrodite interjected. “We did the right thing.”

“How the hell do you think it’s okay to tell me what is right and wrong?!” Victor spat in her face. “You have no authority to tell me what is right and wrong. You get one thing straight, that vampire knew you were new hunters. If it really wanted to, it could’ve killed all of you.”

“It could’ve killed us if we stayed in the closet!”

“That closet was secured. No vampires could get into that room because there is pure silver built into those walls, just like your bedrooms are.”

“All the hunters were dying,” Andrew answered. “I wasn’t going to let that happen.”

“I don’t care if all the hunters were begging you to save them! When we give you an order, you do it! You should know that since your family came from nothing but military, Andrew.”

Andrew’s jaws clenched. “I did what I thought was right.”

“You and Aphrodite decided to take matters into your own hands and look where it placed you. You lost two teammates and placed your worthless asses on my shit list. I knew that you two would disobey my orders. You’re both off the field. You will be doing nothing but running laps and doing obstacle courses, even after your feet are bleeding. You'll keep doing that and paperwork until I feel like you learned that my orders will always be final. Now, get out of my face!”

I was about to walk out with them, until Victor stopped me. “You stay. I’m not done with you yet.” I nodded and stood in front of his desk. He gestured me to sit down and I did. Victor relaxed and sat down in his chair. “What went wrong, Jazlyn?”

“I don’t know, sir.”

“No need the formality when there are closed doors.”

I sighed, “I seriously don’t know. One minute, there was forty hunters. Next thing I knew, there was only the five of us that ended up being three at the end.”

“Did you see the coven?”

I shook my head. “There wasn't a coven.”

“What do you mean?”

“It seemed like there was only one vampire.”

Victor straightened and leaned against his desk. His face was stern, every muscle on his face was stiff. “Are you telling me that there was only one vampire that killed all of our hunters in the states?”