The Darkness Won at Last

Boom. Boom. Boom.

The earth crackled and shook like the thunder in the heavens had pelted the earth with its voice.

Doom. Doom. Doom.

He felt the raw fear. It dried his tongue and his thirst grew overwhelming. The terror shone in the eyes of every living thing he saw. He guessed it shone in his eyes, as well. The horror shrouded everything he passed, though Shadowfax bore him swiftly. The horse's nostrils were red with blood, yet the Lord of Horses did not seem to be giving up. It grieved his rider that his mount too should be lost to fire and death. This horse would never be tamed to the will of Sauron, so its indomitable spirit would be crushed.

All things were fading, and he could do nothing. His immortal life was worth nothing. His immortal strength, nothing. The love he felt for the world he dwelled in, nothing. The heritage he so nobly bore, even that was now nothing but ashes.

Not even the Sea could save him now.

He ducked his head as he heard the cruel laughter echoing in his ears. Ai, it drowned the Sea Longing and he could no longer hear the crashing of the waves on the rocks, and the cry of the gulls. Maniacal, cruel, and terrible the voice was as it taunted him. The deepest evil in Middle earth now thrived in every corner, and none escaped His terrible wrath and hate. Helplessness raged in the prince's heart.

Greenleaf, his father called him. Ai, his father. If only he was returning home victorious, to tell him that darkness was the thing that had faded and all was well. He had no way of knowing if his father was even alive now, but if he was, then his last task would be complete. As Shadowfax bore him ever on, he drifted off into memory of the past, untainted by the horror of the present.

Boom. Doom. Boom...

The halls of the elvenking Thranduil were silent and tense. The happenings of these days put many ill at ease. It only made it worse that their best warrior, Legolas Thranduilion, was about to leave for Imladris, the last Homely House East of the Sea. His father sat nobly upon the throne before him. Everything about his posture seemed to indicate that he was as kingly as he always was. But his face showed a mixture of love, fear, and anxiousness as he gazed down at his son.

Legolas looked down at his clothes. He was ready at last to journey to Imladris. The horrid creature Gollum had escaped their care and fled off into the wilderness. It was a journey that could not have come at a worse time. The orcs and goblins were beginning to move freely again, and at a more alarming rate towards the East, past Dol Guldor and across the lands beyond. His attire was evident of this troubling factor, as he wore numerous weapons and a tunic, breeches, cloak and boots that easily blended into the earth and forest. His horse was white, but his attire would help keep him safe if anything was to go wrong.

"Ion nin, you do not have to go. I can easily send anyone else."

Legolas bowed his head. "Aran nin, as much as I love you and our people, and our home, I trust no other with this task. I shall not fail you, Ada."

Thranduil stood up quickly. Legolas had never seen him so agitated, except maybe the day his mother...never mind. "Ada! This is what I am afraid of. That I shall never hear my son speak that word again." He closed the gap between them and laid his hand on Legolas' shoulders. "Aran nin, I can give up, hîr nin, is worth nothing to me. But ada is the gift that I treasure most, and if the one to call me that is torn away, I can no longer keep living." His voice trembled a little at the end.

"You have nothing to fear, father. I have returned after longer journeys than this, perfectly well and at ease. Even were things to go wrong, I would return to you again, and we shall see each other's faces once more." Legolas reassured.