Chapter 24: Unfair Fate

"...when the public is interested and demands a punishment, no matter what the offense, great or small,it thinks of only one punishment, and that is death." -Clarence Darrow

As soon as the Raven had been dragged away; it started a riot

Sakura soon pulled away, and looked in that dreamy ice blue eyes. She bunched up a fist, grabbed him by the shirt, and pulled him down until ear level with her mouth, and whispered; "ever do that again...just out of spite to piss off Sasuke Uchiha.. I swear to god I'll hospitalize you.."

With that being said, The pinkette quickly removed both tall high heels from each foot. She pulled her hair back, and looked onto the crowd. As soon as every person had noticed the gaze, they all quieted down to stare. "What's next?" Asked a voice in which she hadn't known where it came from. "If you'll excuse me." And then did the unthinkable.

Sakura Haruno became what would forever be remembered as the runaway bride. No one had ever seen the kunoichi run as fast as she had out of that chapel. Following close behind was a not so sober Tsunade, Naruto Uzumaki, and oh yeah--almost every dear friend ranging from Hinata Hyuga to Temari of the sand. Although Gai-sensei didn't know where they were going, he found it to be an opportunity to race Kakashi. Half way through the sprint, the following crowd soon fell behind-- starting with Choji.

'They have to be taking him to the holding cells in the basement of the hokage's tower..' She thought, dodging the oncoming carriages and villager's; gliding through people like a bird soaring in the sky. Even when something had caught the long material of her dress, and it tore to knee length; it hadn't faulted her. Nothing could interfere as she had continued her sprinting episode. "Where the fuck do you think your going Sakura??" Asked the hokage, but she simply responded with, "to get my man." Determination audible in her voice. This was possibly the most brave--or stupid- thing the pinkette had ever done. At the time, she hadn't even realized it, as it had been the yearning in her heart guiding to it's desired destination.

"Hey Sakura, slow down will ya? We all wanna see teme!!" Shouted a nearly winded fox face. "Not now Naruto." Was all she offered as an answer, the tower's entrance on sight.

Now dashing through new doors and hurling down a stair case, it had only been her and Tsunade, as everyone else had been blocked outside by Masked ANBU. A entry way, she shook its knob. Locked. When in the kunoich's way, keeping her from the person who might just be both the worst and best thing to ever happen to her; it was decided door knob's were too mainstream anyways. Crash.

"W-where is he??" She asked, gasping for air as the medical ninja just ran a marathon. Only to catch view of her avenger sitting on the stone floor of a chakra barred cell. "Lady Tsunade, Lady Haruno, it's too late. Lord Danzo has already decided the boy's fate."

Sakura's pupils dilated as she stared at the boy in the corner of his holding cell, head fixed on looking at the floor. "..and..?"

"Sakura, because of my crime's against the leaf and interference of a peace joining ceremony, I've been sentenced to death without trial." He said, making no attempt to move, his tone rather chillingly as there had been no real trace of emotion in the statement. "This is ridiculous-- he cannot do that!!" Shouted Tsunade, staring at the on duty guard. "He's only a boy!!"

"I'm sorry lady Tsunade.. But the elders do pull rank over you. It cannot be helped." Responded the ANBU.

Sakura stared dumbfounded at Sasuke, "no.. I saw your heart stop once--never again..As long as I live, I vow to get you out of this Sasuke-kun.. I shouldn't have told you not to fight..they can't kill you..." And to her surprise, the Uchiha then arose. Onyx met jade, as they had locked intently. As if in slow motion, he made his way over until only the bars separated the two, hands touching as confrontation and and comfort.

"This isn't your fault Sakura. It's my own.. Every decision I made, I made by myself. If this is the path I need to walk, then so be it.." "But Sasuke... I just got you back.." She whispered, noses now grazing each other's, but the thickens of the steel enhanced by a jutsu To bulky to allow lip's to touch.

The Guard cleared his throat then, "ahem. Sorry miss Haruno, but the traitor is now to be transported to the main cell division building. You'll be sure to see him in three days; lord Danzo had made up his mind that it will be a public hanging, to make an example out of Sasuke Uchiha. I'm going to have to ask you to step away from the bars."

The pinkette only stared in silence, taking three steps backward, and Tsunade lied a hand on her student's shoulder as a gesture of comfort; just before nine ninja's swarmed in to make sure the raven was well secured. Watching as they covered the avenger with chains and bonds to ensure he hadn't been able to escape hurt the rosette like none other. The way those black eye's stared her up and down without wasting a second to blink. It was as if Sasuke wanted a mental picture of the cherry blossom.

"I swear I won't let them hurt you..." She said as the ninjas yanked at all the chains to confirm it was truly impossible to maneuver out. "My only regret is hurting you as much as I had. Death is only a temporary ending to our story." The Uchiha stated reassuringly. Of who it was meant to reassure, whether her or himself will always be a mystery.

They then put a chakra refrainer, so his chakra could no longer be channeled as long as he had it on. Removing the choker could only be done with another's chakra, and one as strong as a sannin's; if they knew the top secret release jutsu that is. If pulled on by the wearer, may result in shocking. These choker's had only really been worn by dangerous criminals, mass murders placed on by law, or human slaves put on by their masters.

"Alright Mr. Uchiha, walk." They instructed.

Every step was excruciating to watch through those emerald orbs. "Can I at least visit him before the execution..?" She asked quietly, only heard by her teacher. "It's highly unlikely.. Death row member's to soon be disposed of usually aren't allowed.." Disposed of.. Disposed? Sakura's first crush, team mate, friend, foe, first kiss, lover.. Was not disposable.. Something disposable can be easily replaced. A human's life is not. No amount of time could replace someone so special to her in that big heart of her's.

Even as the dark haired, fair skinned, devil in disguise took a step, he watched Sakura so intently, so obviously that even after passing the angel, his head turned to stare until disappearing up the stair case.

Now out of sight, Tsunade sighed. "Don't worry Sakura...it's out of our hands now. All we can do is prey. You've had a long day.. Go home." The rosette nodded, still in shock and denial. Part of her just wanted to lock herself in the apartment. Another part knew she wouldn't be able to sleep anyways. Though the largest part of her wanted to run away with the man of her dreams.

"It is out of our hands, but it won't be if I can help it."