1

Kehlani POV

The sound of the clock ticking filled the room. Jessie's constant foot tapping annoyed me. His old, black, high top Converse had a hole in the side that he sometimes covered with old gum.

I rest my head on my hands and stared at my lap. My pencil is stuck inbetween the rips in my jeans. The toes of my black high top Vans peeked out from under my knees.

Sam pops her gum beside me and chews loudly. Mrs.Ackerd explained many times that she hates gum so Sam is obviously trying to get sent out early. I'm just bored now that I've finished my homework.

Detention obviously sucks ass but I got put in here again. This time for dress code. Ripped jeans and spaghetti straps are against dress code, but guess who wore both. My teacher, Mr.Paul (the creep) busted me for it. Usually he lets it go but the principle has been cracking down on teachers about it. Especially him because he's always looking at the girls. Rumor is that he jacks off in the teacher's lounge bathroom after his 4th period. He has mainly girls in that class.

I don't pay attention to rumors because most are false. Maybe not the Mr.Paul one, but most are. Last year people said that i had sex with ten guys from gym class within a class period. I was actually in detention during that time but of course some guys "testified" to being one of the ten guys.

Anyway, the new rumor is that there's gonna be a new guy coming. Our school rarely gets new people who aren't freshman so it's kinda hard to believe. I don't care if we do or don't, i'm not fucking with them.

"You are dismissed, and Samantha that gum habit has to go." she says with an attitude.

"Sorry." Sam stands up and walks towards the door. She stops and takes her gum out and sticks it to the wall. Eddie laughs and high fives Sam.

"Would you like another detention?" Mrs.Ackerd asks. Sam rolls her eyes. "Get out of my face."

I pick up my backpack and head out of the door with my friends. Jessie still sits at his desk but the foot tapping stopped. He's asleep.

We walk down the empty hallway to the parking lot. Sam lights up a blunt from her pocket and takes a hefty puff. She holds it out to me and i take it. I take a big puff and hold it in my mouth. Allowing it to fog my mind and relax me. I finally let it out.

"You got work today?" Eddie asks. I nod. "Okay well we'll hook up later?"

"I'll see." I start to walk off towards the parking lot. I see Justin and Jaden leaning against Justin's car smoking a blunt.

"What's good baby?" Justin asks when i approach them. He pulls me into a hug and kisses my lips.

Justin is my boyfriend, has been for about a year now. We've had a couple ups and downs but I love him. And he loves me so we good.

Jaden nods at me and takes a nice puff of the blunt and offers it to me.

I shake my head. "I just had a hit with Sam and Eddie." He shrugs and passes it to Justin.

"Ight Bieber i'll catch you later broskie. Later Kehlani." Jaden pulls his snapback on and walks down towards his car.

Justin nods at Jaden then looks at me. "Come here." he says softy. I step closer to him and he pulls me in for a kiss. A kiss turns into a full makeout session in the parking lot.

After a while i pull back. "I gotta go to work babe." He rolls his eyes and pulls me back in. We kiss for a while longer until I retreat again. "Okay foreal this time i gotta go."

"Ugh okay okay. Hop in." he says. He walks over to the driver side and gets into the car.

He drives me over to the store and blasts his music through the speakers. His friend gave him his mixtape, it's actually pretty fresh. Better than some of these worn out rappers who only talk about bitches and drugs.

We pulls up to the store and he stops infront. I lean over and peck his lips. He catches my jaw before i can move back completely. We kiss again, this time longer. He bites my lip at the end. I hop out of the car and walk inside. I have my shirt and apron stashed away in a corner of the storage room so nobody will know i don't come prepared.

I toss the shirt on over the tank top and tie my apron around me. As i walk out into the store the smell of coffee fills my nose. I walk over behind the counter and wait for a customer.

"Yo did you just get here?" Kaitlin asks while bringing in some more coffe beans. I shush her.

"Just got here?" I hear from far behind me. Lockland. His father owns the store and he's manager. He's basically a lonely 45 year old guy who is waiting for his dad to die so he can have full control. Lockland is mad creepy. Always trying to cop a feel on the sly.

"Sorry. I had detention and my teacher didn't care about my schedule." I say. He walks up behind me and leans close to my ear.

"Detention? Well i guess i can let you off the hook this time. I kinda like bad girls." His hot breath tickled my ear. It felt really slimy and gross. He stepped back and turned away from me. "Don't let it happen again."

I roll my eyes and continue to wait for customers. The door bells jingle as another customer comes inside. He's a tall lightskin guy with nappy hair tucked under a hat. He's dressed in all black and looks damn good in it. He scans the room quickly and comes towards my counter.

"Hi uh can i get a medium black coffee." he asks. His plump lips distract me and my breath catches in my throat.

"Oh um yes. That'll be $4.25. To-go? Or for here?" i say. He pulls out a 5 dollar bill and hands it to me. I give him his 3 quarters. He looks around the counter and drops it into the children's charity cup.

"To-go.Thanks." he walks down the counter looking through CDs.

"Oh what's the name for the order?" i ask before going to make his coffee.

"Chance."

I nod and turn back towards the counter. I turn up the heat on the coffee pot and grab a to-go cup from the stack. I slip the cup into a sleeve and right his name on the cup. Once the coffee is hot enough i turn the heat down and carefully pour some into the cup. I grab a top and pop it on.

"Chance." i call out. He stands there by the counter. I hand him the cup. He takes a small sip and looks through the CDs. The CDs up in front are of The Alabama Shakes. "They're good but i only really like one of their songs."

I say. He nods. "Which one?"

"Sound and Color." i say. He nods approvingly. He puts the album back down and nods in my direction before leaving the store.