The Little Things

Joachim didn't expect to be getting any phone calls today, so when he heard his ringtone blaring from his phone, he was utterly surprised. He was even more surprised when he found that the caller was none other than Wyatt Murphy. The two had only met a few weeks ago, but they didn't get very much conversation in as the encounter had only lasted a few minutes. They did manage to get each other's numbers, but they hadn't talked or texted since they had first met. So why was Wyatt calling him?

He picked up the call reluctantly, and instantly his ears were assaulted by Wyatt's loud voice. If there was anything he remembered about this guy, it was his obnoxiously flamboyant personality. That, and his pastel purple hair. He winced as he said, "Have you always been this loud?" He heard Wyatt scoff before answering.

"Miss you too, I guess. Jeez. Anyways, I have an invitation for you!" Joachim was taken aback by this. An Invitation? What for? And why him? They barely knew each other!

"Oh, really?"

"Mason, Chris, Dante and I were all gonna go downtown to see the fireworks, and we were wondering if you wanted to join us??" Wyatt replied. Mason. Joachim had definitely heard that name before, but he couldn't quite place his finger on who he was.

"Are you sure you want me interfering? We barely know each other."

"C'mon! It'll be fun, I promise." All of a sudden, Joachim remembered who Mason was and his eyes widened.

"I'm not sure.. I feel like I would be a total 5th wheel. You and Mason are dating, right?"

"Well, yeah, we are. But that's besides the point! Do you want to come or not?"

"Wyatt. That's like, a double date plus one."

"I promise that you won't be a 5th wheel! Please come with us, it won't be as fun without you there," He was practically begging at this point, and Joachim didn't know what it was about that sentence but it compelled him to say yes. He sighed before answering.

"Fine, I'll go. It's better than being alone on the 4th of July, I guess."

"That's the spirit! We're actually going to be leaving fairly soon, so if you want to get ready that would be great."

"Ah, alright. I'll see you in a few then?"

"Bye bye!" He hung up the phone, and sighed again. He had a feeling this wouldn't go very well for him.

He decided that it probably wouldn't be appropriate to show up in a shirt with pizza stains on the front and pyjama pants, so he headed towards his bedroom to get a change of clothes; he really needed to do laundry. Luckily, it was just fireworks and not some 5-star restaurant, so he wouldn't need to wear anything formal. Clothing-wise, he was somewhat lacking in the formality department.

He ended up just picking out a pair of jeans and a t-shirt he had dug out from the closet, deciding that he looked good enough. He was just about to leave his room when he heard his phone go off. Noticing the text was from Wyatt, he opened it curiously.

From: Wyatt

Hey! What's your address? We're leaving now

He nonchalantly gave Wyatt his address and put his phone in his pocket, walking out of his room and into the lounge.

They arrived around 5 minutes later, surprising Joachim when they rang the doorbell. Getting up from the couch, he headed to the door and moved to open it. He was immediately greeted by a smiley Wyatt.

"Long time no see?" Joachim said, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Yeah, no shit. Ready to go?" Wyatt snorted.