Skinny Love

Author's Note
This story didn't take very long but the making of the cover did istg. I used a bunch of apps to get a nice filter bc the font wouldn't show cri. Make sure you listen to Birdy's cover of Skinny Love. If you enjoyed, please vote, comment, add, and follow!
__________

Come on skinny love, just last the year
Pour a little salt, we were never here

    Today was the anniversary. Leo walked through the graveyard in the middle of the day. It was fall, the winds were brisk and leaves covered the ground. His feet knew the way after coming here many times before.

My my my, my my my, my my my, my my
Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer

He placed flowers gently on the gravestone. It was moonlace, her favorite. The slab of rock read 'Here lies Calypso, wonderful friend and partner,' a grim reminder to Leo that she was gone forever.

I tell my love to wreck it all
Cut out all the ropes and let me fall

Three years. It had been three years since she died in that horrible car accident. He wished it never happened.

My my my, my my my, my my my, my my
Right in the moment, this order's tall

Leo felt so guilty. Sure, it wasn't his fault yet he felt that he triggered it to happen. He had an argument with Calypso before she drove off in anger. He should have just let the problem pass.

And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine
And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind

He punched the earth hard. His knuckled bruised from the pressure they received. Teardrops started to stream down his face as he gritted his teeth. He hated himself, he hated himself so much from that pitiful mistake.

And in the morning I'll be with you
But it will be a different kind
'Cause I'll be holding all the tickets
And you'll be owning all the fines

He heard the rustling of leaves behind him. Leo didn't turn around, he didn't want anyone to see him crying. A hand patted his shoulder before the person spoke. "I knew I'd find you here," said his friend (Y/N). "It's really sad you know, she died so young but you have to move on, Leo. If you don't, you're gonna miss out on life."

Come on skinny love, what happened here?
Suckle on the hope in light brassiere
My my my, my my my, my my my, my my

Leo sniffled. It's been awhile since Calypso's death but he still couldn't get over his dead lover. He got up slowly and followed (Y/N) out of the cemetery. And at that moment, little did he know that she would be his savior.

Sullen load is full, so slow on the split

Months had passed since Leo started his road to recovery with (Y/N). He felt so much happier moving on but he still visited Calypso's grave. It wasn't to mourn over her but to thank her for showing him how to love. It was when he was in his bedroom staring at the ceiling that he realized something, and that something was too big for him to get rid of once he found out.

And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine
And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind

He had developed feelings for (Y/N). No wonder why he was always happy around her. He felt so safe being near her. He noticed everything about her: her features, her scent, the way she walked and even the little gestures she makes whenever she was deep in thought. Just thinking of her made the tips of Leo's hair get caught on fire. He was in deep.

And now all your love is wasted
Then who the hell was I?

The demigod didn't even try to deny it. In fact, he was determined to win her heart. He wanted to be the only one protecting her and receiving her affection. This time, Leo was going to do anything to protect their relationship. He sent a text to her asking for a date at the cafe at the corner. Patiently, he waited. 'One, two, three...' Leo counted in his head before hearing a beep from his phone. It was from (Y/N). She had accepted.

'Cause now I'm breaking at the britches
And at the end of all your lines

And so now she and Leo were comfortably seated at the cafe, enjoying pastries with their coffee. They laughed and chattered, each enjoying the other's presence. Their hands intertwined under the table, a sign that it was official. They were madly in love. But as everything does, their date came to an end and Leo waved her goodbye from his house. His heart still pounded in his chest for his new lover, one that he hoped would make him a better man. It was so late and he was exhaustingly tired. He laid his head down on the pillow and slept.

Who will love you?
Who will fight?
And who will fall far behind?

He woke up late the next day, but he didn't care for he was too happy. He made himself a bowl of cereal and turned on the TV. His bowl clattered out of his hands, spilling his cereal and milk all over the floor. Leo's eyes widened at the headline he saw. '(Y/N) (L/N), dead from a hit and run by a drunk driver' was plastered on the screen with an image of her as the news reporter talked. He couldn't believe. Leo lost her too soon, his partner that helped him so much. He stayed there, too shocked to move. And once again, the boy was alone, except this time, he was too broken to pick his pieces back up again.

Come on skinny love
My my my, my my my, my my my, my my