• Two •

"You get it, right?"
Hannah asked, an unlit cigarette dangling from her mouth. We sat on her front porch step, the sun scorching our shoulders as we caught up on life. I hypnotically watched as the cigarette bounced between her thin lips with every word, as if it was begging to be lit. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she lifted her good luck charm, a pink Bic lighter, and scorched the end.
"Right?" She repeated.
   This time with more flair as she retrieved the cigarette from her lips and threw her hands above her head, a dramatic gesture that had become her signature trademark.
I quickly became aware that I had not been paying any attention to Hannah and was left without any clue as to what she was rambling about.
"Yeah, sure." I droned, keeping my eyes locked on the cigarette that was now perfectly placed between her index and middle fingers.
She looked up at me with a dull glance for a split second, before going back to the one-way conversation. I was safe.
I came to the conclusion years ago that Hannah was only attractive when she was smoking. It was something to do with the way she held herself as if she was only confident with a pack in her fragile, porcelain-like hand. Or maybe it was the way the light shone in her face.

I had never smoked a day in my life, but I swear, watching her made me want to.

"Can I bum a smoke?" The words fell out of my mouth like a waterfall.
I hadn't even processed the word vomit before I was being offered a small white stick.
"here ya go," she muffled.
I stuck it between my lips and fumbled with the lighter. I obviously lacked the finesse Hannah displayed. After multiple tries, I watched as the butt grew orange and inhaled. However, my "exterior of cool" finally broke as I immediately went into a coughing fit.

"You're supposed to wait until you feel it burning your throat."
In front of me stood Lip Gallagher, in all his glory, stifling a laugh. Mortified, I attempted to cover my tracks by offering him a spot on the stoop. It was too late, I felt my cheeks heat up.
He graciously accepted, sitting in between Hannah and I.
"Like this," He reached over, our hands brushed as he took the cigarette and set it between my chapped lips. He grabbed my hand and placed my fingers perfectly around the cylinder.
"Breath in slowly," he smirked. I followed his lead.
"until you feel your throat burning." Hannah held in her laughter out of the corner of my eye, oblivious to the tension between Lip and I. Although- he might be too.
"And then exhale." We locked eyes as I lifted the cigarette away from my mouth and billowed smoke. Through the fog I saw his permanent frown flip into a smirk.
"Thereee ya go, champ." He jokingly ruffled my hair before turning to Hannah. I watched as he pulled her into a kiss.
"See, I told you she's a quick learner!" Hannah laughed, her signature fake smile plastered on her face.
"Hey, we got that in common." He looked back at me, still grinning. I smiled back, conscious as to not smile too much.
Hannah told me that once- that I smiled too much. Which I didn't think was possible, however there are certain ways to get by in our neck of the woods, which is what she told me.
I took another drag, making sure to heed Lip's advice.
After awhile I leaned back, cigarette in one hand, taking in the sun that was beating down on us. I was wearing my favorite halter top, the one with blue stripes that I had found in my mom's closet, and was feeling pretty confident.
The nicotine hit me pretty quickly and all at once. I felt my heart race ever so slightly, however I was mainly focused on the overwhelming sense of nausea and the oncoming headache. It was minutes before the two lovebirds realized my state, which I hid well.
"You good, champ?" Lip asked, concerned.
"She really hasn't ever smoked before huh?" Hannah smiled and handed me the scratched up, blue water bottle that she carried with her everywhere.
"Drink this," She smiled, handing it to me.
"you're gunna thank me."
After a few sips I was able to focus into their conversation. They were discussing a party Lauren from school was throwing.
"I reallllly want to go baby!" Hannah looked at Lip, her crystal eyes widened as she pouted.
"Pleasseeee!"
Any boy who has ever dated Hannah knows never to leave her alone at a party if they want the relationship to last. That's how I knew Lip was serious about her; when he agreed to go with her. Hannah was ecstatic, throwing small kisses all over his face as I watched, pretending to still sunbathe on the porch step.
"Are you going, Jennie?" Lip looked over. I popped up, surprised to be included in the conversation.
"I mean, she usually doesn't go, not really her thing." Hannah answered for me, inhaling from her cigarette on last time before dabbing it out on the concrete.
"I'll go!" I said excitedly. Any chance to be near Lip is fine with me, however Hannah wasn't completely wrong. I tried to avoid crowds as much as possible, it left me little room to think.
"Great, see you two tonight then." Lip stood up and smiled at us both before sauntering away.
I slyly but my lip as I watched him walk away. I'm going to a party with Lip Gallagher.