Chapter Thirty Six.

Over 11,000 reads! Thank you so much! 

Hope you all enjoy the chapter! 

-Stacey xxx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Daryl's POV*

I chewed on my thumb as Hershel took Lily's temperature two days later.

"Well?" I asked, waiting anxiously by the door.

Rick was stood by me, watching the older man too.

"Well her temperature has continued to fall. It's back to normal." he informed us.

I exhaled in relief, "Does that mean she's going to be okay?"

Hershel took his gloves off, "It seems she might be. But I really think she should rest some more." he glanced in my direction, "That means you too Daryl. You're not doing yourself any favours waiting around like this."

I shook my head, "I'm not leaving her. What if she wakes up and no one's here? She might think we've all abandoned her."

Hershel looked to Rick, who shrugged, "He's made his mind up."

I was somewhat glad that he was siding with me.

Hershel finally nodded and picked up his things, "Call me if you need me."

I went over to Lily's side again, where I had spent a lot of my time over the past two days. The good news was that she's getting better.

Lily suddenly let out a snort in her sleep and rolled over.

I stroked her hair and smiled softly as her eyes fluttered open.

"What's going on?" she murmured.

"You're getting better." I whispered, "The fever's gone down."

Her eyes lit up and she slowly sat, "Really?"

I nodded, "Yep. Hershel said so."

She smiled, running her hand over her face, "I'm glad you didn't listen to me the other night."

I couldn't help but press a kiss to the back of her hand as she watched me silently.

She raised her hand and gently traced the dark circles that were under my eyes, "When was the last time you got any decent sleep? You look so tired."

I shrugged, "That doesn't matter. What matters is you getting better."

Lily gripped my forearm and gently tugged me onto the bed beside her, "Lie with me."

I happily moved over onto the bed, resting my head on the flat pillow and she leant up on her elbow so she was hovering over me.

"Go to sleep." she whispered, gently rubbing my cheek with her soft thumb.

I let myself sink into the soft matress, letting her gentle touch relax me further. I was slowly drifting off when I felt Lily lay back down beside me, her head resting on my arm.

I found it strange how the tables had turned. I was supposed to be the one making sure she got enough rest but instead, she was taking care of me...and I had to admit, it felt nice. 

************************

I must have slept for a good few hours and when I woke, Lily was still curled up beside me.

Taking a glance out the window, I saw that the sun was high in the sky meaning it must have been sometime in the afternoon.

I looked down at the sleeping woman just in time to see her eyes flutter open.