Chapter One

Avery's POV

BEEP..BEEP...

Groaning, I smacked my hand down on the snooze button.

" Just once, I'd like to hear that Monday has been cancelled so that I can roll over and sleep." I thought.
But I got up anyway. After my morning routine, I started my morning training. First, I went for a run and then practiced some fighting techniques.

I was a street fighter and I had to practice everyday for it. I was the undefeated champion in our town. But the place I went to fight, closed down, and I had found a new fighting area. I was planning to go there from today onwards and I didn't want to lose my first fight.

As I was practicing a high kick, my phone rang.
"AVERY GRACE RODRIGUEZ CARTER!" My mom's voice blared from the phone.
That was my full name. But mostly people knew me as Avery Carter, the 'nerd' of Campbell High.

"Its SEVEN FORTY FIVE! And Chantelle isn't coming to pick you up. She's sick."

Chantelle was my best friend since we were both kids and we usually went to school together.

"I'm coming, mom." I said and hung up. Then, I ran all the way home. When I reached, I took a quick shower and changed into black jeans and a black top and raced downstairs.

"Bye Avery!" My mom called as I raced out the door.

"Bye, mom!" I shouted back.

When I reached school, it was already eight fifteen. I dashed to my locker and took out my maths stuff. Then I ran to my class.

"Ms.Carter. Care to explain why you're fifteen minutes late?" Mr.Adams asked.

"I'm sorry, sir. I..uh..overslept." I lied.

"Overslept? Go to detention!" He shouted. Mr. Adams was a really strict teacher.
The rest of the class snickered.
I sighed and walked towards the detention room.

After maths, I had English. I liked reading and our teacher, Ms.Fray used to make her classes really interesting. She usually gave us a creative writing each week- a poem, short story, article, speech- anything.

As the bell rang, I grabbed my books and headed towards my locker.

"Whose funeral is it today, nerd?" A voice said as I was putting my books in the locker. I turned around and saw the queen bee - Grace Hilton.
Her two minions laughed.

My hands balled into fists but I didn't say anything. If I got angry, it wasn't going to be pretty. And I wasn't this girl in school. I was a nerd - shy and quiet.

"Well, answer her, nerd. Or have you gone dumb?" Rachel said, laughing.

"She was always dumb." Summer snickered.

I slammed my locker shut and walked towards the cafeteria. As I took my tray and sat down, I noticed that a couple of girls were swooning behind me.
I rolled my eyes at them and continued to eat my food. After a while, Taylor slid into the seat next to mine. She was a nice girl but we weren't very good friends.

"Did you see the new guy?" She asked, excited.

"Nope." I answered. "What's his name?"

"His name is Jace Sanchez." He used to go to Redroof High before." She said, pointing to a guy.
Well, he was hot. But I don't care much about boys.

"Isn't he hot?" She asked me.

"Yeah." I smiled.

After lunch, the school day seemed to fly past. Soon, I was walking home.