Jerome #1. 'Arkham' Part One

Welcome to my 'Gotham imagines', I hope you enjoy them as much as I did writing them :D

(TRIGGER WARNING - mental health, incarceration, mention of rape/murder (its not as bad as it sounds but I just wanted to warn you x)

1.
You are a patient in Arkham Asylum who gets dumped in with the collection of scumbags that make up the high security ward, where you meet Jerome Valeska.

You're currently being treated for your own mental illness but nothing like the problems these people have. The very idea of having to be surrounded by murderers, serial killers, rapists and paedophiles on the Criminally Insane Ward makes your stomach turn and your skin crawl. Especially due to your gender being female and the vast majority of them being male; 'Bad things happen to bad people', that's what you had heard one guard say after a paedophile got raped and beaten to death. Sure, he probably deserved to be locked up here to rot... But to basically get torn apart by the pack of other worst offenders? You weren't so sure, especially as that kind of thing happened whether you were a paedo or not most of the time to the women here anyway. Your old cellmate had been a manic depressive who was getting better but after being raped by one of the guards, not even one of the other patients, she had committed suicide. The memory made you so furious that you wanted to smash up the nearest available furniture but instead you clenched your fists in silence as you were wheeled onto the new ward. Your internal dialogue becoming more like intense, internal screaming. If you weren't one of the crazies when you arrived, you'd definitely be one when you left... if that day ever came.

As soon as you heard the 'ssssshhh-click' of the last door automatically locking behind you, you were met with the sight of about two dozen faces eyeing you up and down respectively. There were so many vulgar comments, wolf-whistles and disgusting grins that you had to grit your teeth now to stop being overcome by the newfound rage.
You had always had a temper. This was a terrible combo along with your tendency to have episodes whereby you hallucinated and became delusional. It had meant that you ended up hurting the people you most cared about and had to be sectioned but you were making progress. You hadn't killed anyone important so far...Only the guard who caused your friend to take her own life. You didn't regret it; you'd do it all over again if you could. 

That sick bastard deserved what he got. It was always going to be an uphill battle towards what would be the inevitable without your medication. You were afraid of hurting or killing someone innocent, or someone who meant something to you. You were also pretty tall and well built, especially for a girl. Sure you looked feminine but you still had broad shoulders and a mean slug when you needed to. Unfortunately this only added to the threat you posed to those around you during your outbursts.

It felt like they were trying their hardest to keep you here in Arkham by moving you without any of the correct procedure or a good enough reason ... But then again, you had killed one of their staff with a plastic cafeteria tray in full view of the lunchtime crowd. You also learned early on not to question anything or risk suffering the swift and severe consequences. You had once had the audacity to ask a few of the staff what the new red pill was in with your usual medication and vitamin tablets before blindly taking it, only to be detained and wheeled straight to the 'shock-shop' for a hap-hazard dose of EST (Electric shock therapy). That shit had knocked you clean out for three whole days and you felt like your brain had been through a blender for the rest of that week.

Keeping these potential punishments for stepping out of line in mind to try and prevent yourself from doing anything stupid, you tried to ignore the collection of hardened faces displaying the result of years worth of not seeing someone of the opposite sex. As they reached your room, thankfully all of them here were isolated and you had it to yourself, they undid the straps and lifted you from your wheel chair onto the bed. You would have no choice to try and sleep off the drugs taking effect and sedating you, this is why at present your legs were too weak. It could be hours, or even days before you had regained enough ability to function to walk again. After you were locked in you tried to let your mind drift, and eventually succumbed to the fog thickening in your mind to shroud everything.

***
To be continued...