Part 37

"You're not alright." Aaron lay his hands in his lap and twisted himself to look directly across. Robert kept his eyes on the busy road next to them.

"Aaron we don't have time for this."

"I'm not driving until you tell me why you're so anxious."

"AARON!" Robert yelled out of nowhere. He closed his eyes, looking straight back down at his feet, his hands shaking, feet scraping against the floor matt. "I'm sorry...sorry..." He breathed, seemingly trying to take back control of himself.

"It's alright." Aaron said gently.

"No...No I'm not." Robert pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Ok, well why don't you tell me about it?"

"Why do you...why do you suddenly care?" Robert's eyes moved along, away from the road to fix on Aaron. Aaron nearly avoided looking in to his eyes, but then realised, to try and understand what was going on, he'd probably need to actually look at him.

"I cared before?" Aaron stared at him quizzically, trying to keep calm at the accusation.

"No Aaron you didn't."

"Because you've always cared about me and my feelings so much haven't you?" Ok he couldn't keep his chill. Robert huffed.

"Please drive Aaron." Robert almost pleaded. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Is your chest in pain?"

"Aaron."

"No Robert. Speak to me." Aaron's pupils were dilated in desperation, his mouth ajar, he was running out of ways to try and get him to speak. "Please." Robert took one look at Aaron's face and he couldn't do it anymore. He opened his door and clambered out. Aaron wasted no time in getting out of his side too. Robert stood beside the boot of the car, his back to Aaron, watching the cars racing by. The longer he looked, the more his head span. The crunching of gravel reached his ears as Aaron came to stand beside him. "I'm not letting this go."

"Oh for fuck sake Aaron!" Robert's palms flew to the side of his head as though a migraine had suddenly come on. "Just shut up about it!" He walked a little way from Aaron, a hand falling to his hip, another clenched over his forehead. Then he realised Aaron was out of the car and his door was still open. He could take over the wheel. Both hands were at his side as he began to hastily make his way to the driving side. However Aaron had been watching him and read his thoughts. He dashed to the front of the car and stood in front of the bonnet, blocking his way. "Move."

"No." Robert growled. "Believe it or not I do care about you. I always have, as much as I hate it. So...just talk to me." Robert stared at Aaron a couple of seconds before being certain he really wasn't going to let them set off on the road again until he opened up. His hands shot up to either side of his head again as he raked his fingers through his untidy hair, walking away from Aaron and the car. He clamped his fingers together at the back of his head and turned around. Aaron was still looking at him expectantly.

"Aaron I can't..."

"Why not?"

"I..." Robert sniffled. "You won't see me the same." Aaron frowned. He shook his head and walked up to Robert, creating a bit of a shorter gap between them than there had been before. "I'm fucked up Aaron!"

"Great." Aaron shrugged. "So are most people, me included." Robert sniffled again.

"No, you don't get it."

"Well, make me." Robert searched Aaron's eyes, he was calm, un-judging.

"In the head...I'm fucked up in the head." Aaron had scraped away one layer, he'd gotten Robert to elaborate a little.