Prologue

Staring into the shadows, Moon started to drift. She was being sucked away, and cats could tell. She often stopped and just stared at nothing, and she was loosing quite a lot of weight. She used to be a slim cat yes, but not like this. Cats could see the outlines of her bones, and no cat ever saw her eating anymore. They tried to help her, but she refused it. She was entranced in this shadow, and cats were starting to get even more worried. She seemed to be fading, you could almost see through her. And soon enough, you could see through her. She slowly got up, and started walking towards the shadow. Cats looked up from what they were doing, scared. There was a huge sound, like a thunder clap but so much louder... And Moon was gone. No cat remembered her, they wondered what they were looking at, and went back to doing their everyday things. All except Flash... Flash remembered. But he could see no one else did. So he kept secret. He had to go about his day, remembering their elder and seeing all traces of her gone. He remembered the story of his naming, Moon had been at his birth far away, and she had named him Flash after a cat she had known long long ago. He remembered his mother telling him this every night when he was a kit, and Flash was proud. Moon was their leader for so long, when she retired cats still followed her. Pain was the true leader, but he too followed Moon still. Now that Moon was gone cats were following Pain as if nothing had happened, and Flash was terrified. What had happened to the old cat? Why did no one remember her? Could he find her?