Prologue

It was a late rainy night on my route to my parents house for Christmas from my home in Wisconsin. It was unnaturally, and unseasonably hot for late December in Ohio. It had yet to snow once, nothing but wind and rain. Winter was always my favorite time of year, wearing hoodies, and sweaters, and watching the beautiful snow fall with my loved ones, there was something magic in each snowflake.

The rain was thick, I could not see a thing. I drove with no clue of my location on the road. Then, from nowhere, there was a blinding flash and a horrible sound of metal colliding and collapsing inward on itself. So, much flashed through my mind in one singular moment more than my puny mind could ever hope to comprehend. But above all this, the answers to all the greatest questions philosophers have ever asked, was a single secular thought, "I want to see the snow with my family, just one more time, just once."

Then, as everything was beginning to go completely black, from the corner of my eye, I saw a singular solitary flake of snow, drop upon my face. Then, everything was gone, black, with a chorus of voices calling to me to join them, they came from every direction at once, in every tongue humanity has ever forged. Their icy whispers grabbed at me, clawed me, pulled me to them as I tried to run, but every direction they were there bringing me ever closer. Their voices twisted, distorted with malice, besieging me to join their ranks.

Suddenly one, calm, soothing, melodious voice rang out above all the others. Offering me it's kind hand and pulling me from the cacophony of dark voices, with it's calming gentle embrace.