[Mikaela Hyakuya] It started with a park

For @RebelMist and The_Green_Dragon

[Modern AU]

You're breath came out in small white puffs as you ran down the snowy street to Shibuya High School. You overslept due to having another anime marathon the previous night.

By now it was nearly 10:30am, halfway to lunch. You had considered calling in sick, but your parents are away on a trip for some "alone time" and they would call you nonstop to make sure you were okay if the school contacted them on the matter.

You continued to sprint until you saw the big school building coming into view. You adjusted your hold on your school bag and ran the last 100 feet to the gate. You clutched the cold metal with one hand and your chest with your other, breathing heavily. As soon as your breathing started to get more regulated you started trudging your way to office to sign in and then your next class.

~This time skip is brought to by sleep country. Because why buy a mattress when you can sleep on your friends couch~

The bell signalling the end of class and the beginning of lunch could be heard ringing through the long hallways. You sighed. You made your way to the roof to eat lunch, as it was the most peaceful place in the school. The sun had started to show a while ago so most of the snow should be gone by now.

You opened the squeaky door to the roof, cold air hitting your face. You looked around, spotting a couple of girls you recognized from middle school on the far right. They pointed and giggled at you slightly. You weren't sure if they were making fun of you or admiring you, as you've had plenty of both in the past.

You sighed and walked over to a bench in the warm sunlight.

Suddenly the roof door opened and 5 familiar people walked out, chattering away. Your eyes widened and you quickly gathered your things. You were about to leave when you heard a sweet voice calling your name.

"(Y/n)-kun!" Yoichi waved his arms frantically and rushed to sit beside you.

"H-hey, Yoichi..." You said, trying as hard as you could not to stutter.

"I didn't see you in class this morning, were you okay? You aren't sick are you? You should probably go h-"

"No, no... I'm fine. Thank you though," you smiled at him. He smiled back.

"Thanks goodness! Mika here wouldn't stop wor-" he was cut off by Mika whacking his head.

"Oi, shut up," he had a tick mark on his forehead. Yoichi grumbled something and started eating. Mika sighed and sat beside you. Everyone else sat down as well, making small talk as they ate.
You looked over at Mika, a small smile on your face. You had know Mika and Yuu since you were young. It was always funny to watch Mika fuss over everything Yuu did and then Yuu being pissy about it. You had met in the park one day when a bunch of the kids from their orphanage had a picnic.

~Flashback~

"(Y/n)! Over here!" Your best friend at the time, (B/f/n), called to you. You threw the small, hard baseball in their direction.

"MIKA WATCH OUT!" A little kid around 5 or 6 years old yelled at a boy with blonde hair. You watched in horror as the boy, Mika, was hit in the face by the ball you had just thrown. You freaked out and ran over to him, hoping he was okay.