Chapter 4: I'm a Slave to Your Games

The week flies by and it is already Saturday. The warnings for the Joker have been let go and we are allowed to be outside again, but we should still be cautious. I went out after school on Thursday to buy myself a new dress. My first graders, ever the curious, noticed that I was extra happy this week and were wondering why. I told them a little about my date today and they were all super excited, they've already started drawing pictures of my wedding day. I tell them not to get their hopes up but I smile nonetheless.

     My dress is a deep red, long and elegant. It really accentuates my body type and fits me well, I'm very happy with it. I managed to find some earrings and a necklace that matched too. I even went and got my nails done the same red as the dress.

     I get into the shower and wash my hair, trying to decide what I want to do with it tonight and how I should style it. I'm thinking of putting it up into a loose bun and pinning it with a hair-clip my mom gave me before she passed away. It's silver and will definitely match the rest of my jewellery. I get out of the shower and start drying my hair. I put it up in the bun and curl the strands that stick out and let them hang loose around my face. I slide into my new dress and walk up to my body length mirror to see how it looks. I think I might be a little over dressed but it's too late to change anything now so I decide to roll with it. I put on some subtle makeup as to not overdo my look and slide on some sleek, black high heels. They aren't too high, they only make me an in or two taller, I don't want to be limping throughout the night.

     I check the time and notice that it's already six pm. Gilmore's is only twenty minutes away but I'll give myself twenty five minutes to get there just in case. I really hate being late for things, it gives me anxiety. I start to gather all the things I need and put them in my small, black hand purse that I usually bring to work. I stuff my wallet, lipstick, and some pepper spray in there just in case. I can't fit much more so I just close it and leave it on the counter with my keys. I get myself a glass of water to calm my nerves, I haven't been on a date in a long time. I used to have a long term boyfriend but he cheated on me and moved in with the other woman. I think they're married now. I shake away the thought and down the glass of water, placing to cup in the sink for me to wash later.

     I sit on my couch and decide to watch some TV to pass the time. I keep glancing at the clock on my wall, barely paying attention to the show and it eventually gets to six thirty. I lock up my house and make my way down to the lobby. I ask Lenny to get me a cab and wait nervously, thinking about what might happen tonight.

      The cab driver is the same man from a week ago in a black hoodie. He looks back at me nervously and I smile at him, hoping he would recognise me. His eyes widen and he looks away quickly and starts to drive. My smile disappears and I awkwardly look out the window. The sun is still low in the sky and just kissing the horizon. The city is already lit up with lights. As the ride draws on and the sun goes down the city becomes more and more alive. The buildings light up and people bustle around on the busy sidewalks.

     I arrive at the restaurant and as I step out of the cab it speeds away. I realise that I don't remember telling the cab driver where I was going, but I must be forgetting. The restaurant is very classy and high end, all walls made up of windows from floor to ceiling. It looks very busy and there is a continuous stream of well-dressed ladies and gentlemen coming in and out. I walk in and go up to the woman arranging the seating. She greets me politely and asks if I have a reservation.

     "Yes, actually, he might already be here. I think it's under J?" I say, looking around for him.

     "Ah, yes, table of two?" she asks. I nods and shows me the way. As we near the table I see him sitting and looking around, sipping on a glass of water. Our table is close to the window amongst a crowd of other occupied tables. He looks up and meets my eyes and smiles softly. He stands up to greet me and kisses my hand again. He pulls out the chair for me and pushes it in as I sit down. He sits down across from me and sets his elbows on the table, folding his hands in front of him. The waitress sets two menus in front of us and says she will be back in a few minutes to take our order.

     "Hello, Sophie," he says greeting me with his famous smirk.

     "Hello, J," I say smirking back.

Yikes I totally didn't upload on time but here it is! Hope you enjoy :)

-elkj13