I Do What I Want (A Loki/OC Fanfic)

“Rakea, that’s a perfect bull’s eye!” Vicco Ratav exclaimed in utter surprise.  Her father smiled proudly as his old friend patted his back. Rakea wiped the sweat off of her forehead. She slowly let out the breath of air she was holding in to steady her aim and sheathed her bow as she smirked, impressed at how much she’d improved in the past few weeks. She’d always wanted to learn archery, even though it was frowned upon for a woman to learn such a craft in the small village of Nevarth.

“The paint’s pealing off of the target,” she stated.

“The present Summer’s so hot, I’m surprised that my skin isn’t pealing off,” Vicco said, wiping his sweaty forehead.

“We’ll purchase some paints at the festival,” Rakea’s father promised, returning to his conversation with Vicco, though it was quite short-lived.

“Vicco, the festival’s about to start!” Lady Ratav waved to get his attention, though her red, tweed dress did enough of that for her. The men followed her as Rakea’s father motioned at her to follow them. She nodded but waited. She took in her surroundings of lush, green fields as felt a sense of contentment as the wind blew her long, auburn hair around her figure. She felt slight goosebumps on her skin until a warm breeze took over. Hearing the faint melody of panpipes, she decided it was time to attend the annual Asgardian Festival. She set her bow and arrows in a wooden chest beside the hay bales and her straw target and followed the stony path to the town square. Children were laughing, playing in the grass, chasing one another. A group of little girls picked flowers of every single shade and collected them in small, woven baskets as their mothers decorated the town’s fences with them. Rakea noticed that the hustle and bustle of the townsfolk was greater than usual even for the annual festival. Perhaps they were going to have a special guest this year.

“Rakea, will you play with us later?” Ade asked over-enthusiastically, waving the wooden sword that his father had just given him.

“Maybe later,” she smiled and laughed as he went back to sword fighting with his friends. He swung left and right before he placed his hand on his heart and fell backwards, playing dead. Rakea giggled and shook her head. She froze. A man dressed as a jester appeared before her, offering her a blue ribbon attached to a stick.

“Oh, you scared me,” she smiled nervously and looked to where he was pointing. Right in front of ‘Yolud’s Weapons and Armour’ where a myriad of couples dancing. The bright colours put a smile on Rakea’s face and the women twirled their multi-coloured ribbons as they danced flawlessly. The act of being graceful always puzzled and intrigued Rakea. How was one able to have such propriety? Balance? Patience? Her parents were precisely that. She wondered why the apple had fallen so far from the tree. When she’d merely graze the target during practice, she’d fume. Being a hot-headed person was not an easy feat yet her mother would calmly fetch the arrow and ask her to try again. Rakea had a lot to learn.

She heard loud horns and bells. Crowds and crowds of people flocked in the entrance of their small port, waving multi-coloured flags and banners for King Odin. Rakea didn’t pay any mind to royalty. She’d show respect, yet she never had a chance to. She worked hard to earn her keep and the idea of being born into a family of wealth irritated her. Princes and princesses had it so easy! She rolled her eyes at all the commotion and walked back to the festival.

“Up for a dance me’lady?” her best friend Lissa asked.

“Why thank you kindly,” Rakea replied and she joined her friend, giggling as they danced rather badly to the sounds of the guitar. Suddenly the guitarist and Lissa stopped dancing, a dark red blush appearing on her pale cheeks. Rakea frowned and turned around, only to find the young princes of Asgard smiling and smirking at her little display. Rakea, unlike Lissa did not feel embarrassed.

“Enjoying the festival, my lady?”                                                                                                                          

“I am, my Prince. Did you enjoy my dance?” she asked, gazing with fierce yet happy eyes. Thor chuckled, admiring the girl’s spunk.

“I’m sure everyone enjoyed your dance,” she heard another voice say. She turned to her left to see the second prince of Asgard, his green robes and jet black hair giving him away. His smirk widened as she took in his appearance. He had a strange aura of grace and yet, she couldn’t help but feel a little intimidated by him, that hint of mischief in his piercing blue eyes making her shift to her feet. This wasn't like Rakea. This wasn't like her at all...Hearing Odin's deep voice in the distance, her train of thought came to an abrupt halt.

"Rakea, the competition's starting!" Lissa announced, looking worried. My eyes widened.

"You're taking part in our tournament?" Prince Thor asked her, rather impressed. He smiled at how much she reminded him of a friend back in Asgard.

"I'm not just taking part. I'm going to win," she smirked back, gaining back her confidence. Thor chuckled.

"She reminds me too much of you, Brother," Thor said, patting him on the back. Loki winced and looked at him as an irritated expression graced his features.

"I don't make promises that I can't keep," he replied. Rakea frowned. She was used to people telling her that she would inevitably fail at archery but she did not expect a taunt from a prince. She opened her mouth to argue but she remembered who her audience was and bit her tongue. Thor looked at Loki, telling him to apologize with his gaze though the god of mischief and lies didn't seem phased in the slightest. Rakea shook it off and gained composure.

"Neither do I," she replied, avoiding his title. She didn't feel as if he deserved it. Loki raised his eyebrow at her retort and smirked. He had complained to no end about having to watch the competition but now, he couldn't bare to wait a moment longer.

IMP NOTICE:

I am back! And hopefully with a bang xD This story will be updated once every week or sooner if I have the time. I'll try my best to get the chapters out as soon as possible so vote, comment and follow me! It helps me so much  and gives me the needed boost to write the next chapter so please vote! vote! vote! Thanks so much, my lovely readers! <3 --Megan