The Challenge

As promised, chapter 2 is here! Pls vote and comment if you liked it! Don't forget to follow me to get updates on when a new chapter comes out!! ^^ - Meg

Rakea felt the adrenaline course through her veins as she stepped towards the competition yard. Her hands were sweating and her heart was racing. She let out deep, soft breaths to calm down and walked towards her station. She could hear her father cheering her on from the benches and Vicco Ratav, who was like an uncle to her, shout words of victory even though the challenge hadn't yet started. Their enthusiasm brought a smile to her face which in turn, changed to a look of determination as she saw the dark prince take his seat. King Odin stood up, high and mighty and the once bustling festival became a graveyard of silence. Rakea close her eyes and heard the faint flapping of the multi-coloured banners of Asgard and the erratic breathing of the other competitors.

"Challengers step forward," Odin said, holding a staff firmly in his hand. Rakea took a step forward and looked to her right and left. She was the only woman there, not to her surprise and this fact alone made her even more determined than she previously was.

"You each have three arrows which must be aimed at the designated target before you. The challenger with the most precise aim will win the competition and a cash prize reward but this year we will go even further," If the crowd wasn't silent before, they surely were now. Everyone sat at the edge of their seats, anticipating and guessing what the new and improved prize could possibly be.

The anticipation was killing her and Odin knew that. Smirking, he sat down and said,"Let the challenge begin!" 

The Challenger next to her started shaking under the pressure, pulling the string back, his arrow flew well over his target as he cursed and picked up the next arrow in his quiver. Rakea couldn't help but feel sorry for him but she remembered where she was and what she had to do. She didn't train all of this time for nothing, that's for sure. She was in it to win it, for her family's sake. She couldn't remember the last time they had warm winter in thier small cottage of a house upon the hill. She breathed in, pulled back the string and let go. The arrow zoomed through the air, cutting it like a hot knife on butter as it slammed into the target, a perfect bull's eye. She grabbed her next arrow, her efforts ending in the same way as the last. She felt confident that she was going to win now. She wasn't good at many things but she was damn unbeatable at archery. Wanting to end with a bang, she pulled the arrow back and aimed in the exact position as she did the first time. Releasing the arrow, she heard a loud crack as the third arrow slit the other directly in the middle, dividing it into two.  

She smiled. For once she could really say how proud of her efforts she was. She sheathed her bow and stepped back, waiting for the competition to be declared over. The King and young princes stepped forth, judging the champions but not speaking a single word. Walking over to Rakea's target she saw Odin smile and Thor raised his eyebrows as he spoke to an indifferent Loki. 

The festival came to an end. Rakea returned home with her father and finished her chores around the house. Her father had just received word that the king would soon be visiting. She had a quick bath and wore her finest dress which by the standards of Asgard was not fine at all. She frowned as she looked at herself in the mirror and swiped a strand of hair which kept falling in front of her blue eyes as she huffed. She grabbed a scissors and some material and tried making the dress a little more presentable, stitching it tightly here, sticking a bow there...Until she heard an audible knock on the house's wooden door. She ran up to it and straightened her skirt.

"Good morrow, my king," she bowed as he walked in. Her father led him to their dining room table and asked him to sit down, offering him a glass of wine. The king graciously accepted.

"I was quite impressed with your efforts during the festival, Lady Rakea,"

"Many thanks, my king," she replied with another gracious bow. Her father smiled widely, proud of his little girl.

"As winner of the challenge, your household will receive an amount of funds but I felt as if you should receive another gift of sorts. You have untapped potential, my dear," Odin said in a deep voice, taking a sip of wine.

"I have been searching for a champion, a royal guard of sorts and I wanted to offer you an apprenticeship," Rakea's eyes widened. She always dreamed of seeing Asgard for herself, exploring the nine realms but that's just what it was to her... a dream. Her duty lied with her father and not her personal wishes. I looked to my father, awaiting his response, waiting for him to refuse but the refusal never came.

"The choice is yours, Rakea. You have worked hard to uphold this family and I would be cruel to deny you this," he said as he nodded towards Odin." I assume she will have to relocate to Asgard?" Odin nodded back in response.

"Then of course, I accept your generous offer as long as half my pay is sent to my father," Odin smiled at her loyalty. She reminded him of his eldest son and felt a sense of pride. 

"That can be easily arranged,"

"Then I am greatly honoured, my king," She grinned, her cheeks beginning to hurt. "I don't know how I can thank you..."

"There is no need for thanks, my child. A toast for the newest member of Asgard," he said and they all raised our glasses. 

That night, Rakea returned to her bedroom and packed her things, not that she had much. She placed training gear and everyday clothes which she hoped would be seen as appropriate in the rich province of Asgard. She knew that her first payment would have to go towards clothes. Rakea felt as if it was a waste of money but she would not let anything come between her fitting in. 

                                                                               ----------------------

The next morning, Rakea sprang out of bed. She opened her window and took in a deep breathe. This was the last time she's see Navarth and although it was a beautiful site to behold, she couldn't wait for the change in scenery. 

"Rakea! You weren't going to tell me farewell?" Lissa smiled as she ran into the room and hugged her friend.

"I will miss you so much, Lissa," Rakea told her as she hugged her back. 

"Oh, don't! You'll be so happy there! Handmaidens, living in a castle, meeting the elite, attending parties and mingling with princes I have no doubt!" She grinned as she danced around the room bursting with energy. She stopped to look at Rakea and smiled, a tear rolling down her cheek. She always was over-emotional.

"Oh Lissa, you must visit me! Then you too can meet the elite and mingle with princes, I promise you!" 

Her father strode in,"Lissa, may I have a moment with my daughter?" he asked, his deep voice echoing in the room.

"You know how proud of you I am, Rakea. A man could not home for a better daughter. Now, I want you to go to Asgard and experience all there is to learn. Don't worry about me, darling. Vicco will keep me company, I'm sure." Rakea hugged him as she too started crying herself.

"I'll make you proud, father," she whispered.

"Oh, you already have," he whispered back, his voice quivering slightly. He cleared his throat and pulled back. The king's royal knight awaited downstairs.

"Are you ready?" he spoke in a deep, authoritative voice. Rakea nodded and gripped her bag in one hand, her trusty bow in the other.

Loki will be in the next chapter, I promise you! So don't fret :D Vote and follow if you enjoyed it for updates and it really helps me and gives me the boost to write more and faster for you guys! If enough people like it, I'll focus on this story more and I'll post the chapters quicker so keep that in mind! Thanks for reading and I hope you liked it ^^ - Meg

I Do What I Want (A Loki/OC Fanfic)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara