I

"You're going to be a lot happier here Kellin." The lady in the police uniform speaks to me but I'm barely listening.

I don't understand half the things she's talking about. Right now my mind can't comprehend much at all. Today has just been too much to handle. I went from being at home, to being in an ambulance, to being at a police station, and now I'm in a car driving to god knows where. The car passes a sign but not before I can read what it says; San Diego. Is this where I'm going to live? Is this where my new family lives? Is that what I call them? Are they my new family? I'm so confused.

"Kellin, are you hearing me?" The lady asks seeming concerned.

I nod truthfully. I'm hearing her loud and clear, just nothing is making sense to me.

"Are you understanding me?" She asks and my eyes fill with tears as I shake my head.

She frowns and takes a turn pulling up in the parking lot of a McDonalds. She turns the engine off before turning to me.

"Kellin, your parents were hurting you, am I correct?" She asks and I nod wiping away my tears. "Do you understand that that is illegal?"

I look at her confused.

"W-what does that mean?" I ask feeling stupid. I am stupid. Only having gone to school for four years of my life, I only really know the basics. I always tried to teach myself things. I taught myself how to read and how to do simple math sums but there's only so much information I could learn by myself.

"Illegal means that they are not allowed to do it. They're not allowed to hurt you Kellin." She explains and my eyes goes wide is shock.

"Th-they're not?" I stutter.

"No sweetie. Everything they did to you was wrong and you didn't deserve any off that. None of this is your fault. They're just bad people." The lady says. "I'm taking you to a new home where the people there will look after you and not hurt you."

I don't know how to respond to that. I mean I knew what they did was bad but I didn't know that it wasn't...normal. The lady says nothing else and I start picking at a hole in my jeans.

"You hungry, kiddo?" The lady asks and I nod.

"C-can I have something to eat? Please?" I ask cringing at my words. That's a question I wouldn't dare ask my mother or father.

"Of course. Come on." The lady smiles opening her car door and I do the same shutting it behind me. I follow her as she walks up to the bright colored building. I've never been to McDonalds. I've never even really had take-out before. In fact, I've never had many foods.

I start feeling anxious when I see lots of people coming in and out of the building. It reminds me off this morning when the police officers burst through the front door and took my parents away. It was really scary.

Suddenly a guy bumps into me and I jump back scared.

"Sorry dude." He mumbles as he continues walking but I just stand there shaking in fear.

The lady places her hand on my shoulder but I flinch away.

"Kellin, it's okay. No one's going to hurt you." She says softly.

I bite my bottom lip and take a deep breath before nodding. She smiles lightly and motions for me to follow her into the restaurant. I walk timidly behind her trying to keep my distance from as many passing people as possible. We line up at the end of the queue and she turns to me.

"Alright Kell, what do you want to eat?" She asks.

Never having eaten at McDonalds before, I start silently freaking out. The girl in front of us orders a small cheeseburger meal so I just go with that.