Part One

You can’t always be nice. That’s how people take advantage of you. Sometimes you have to set boundaries.

-Unknown

“Angel! Hurry up or you’re gonna be late!”

“Coming!” I yelled as I grabbed my shoulder bag and ran down the stairs.

“Let’s go,” my brother shoved me out the door and towards the car. I immediately reached for the radio as soon as I got into the car. “Hands off.” Tyler slapped my hands away.

“Come on, Ty. I wanna listen to the radio.”

“You are,” He pointed out.

“I don’t want to listen to this!”

“My car, my rules.”

“But Ty!” I reached for the radio again.

“No! Now stop, we’re almost there anyway.” I pouted and looked out the window and saw he was telling the truth. We were almost there. I sighed. I didn’t want to go here.

“When do you get your car back?”

“Shut up, Ty!”

Ty glanced at me. “Do you want me to come to the office with you?” He pulled up to where the visitors guard was.

I looked at him in relief. “Would you?”

“Not a problem. I think I have to anyway.” He rolled down the window and greeted the guard.

“How can I help you?” The guard asked.

“My sister is starting here today. She transferred over from Belmont. Could you point me to the office?” I leaned forward to look around my brother and waved at the guard.

“What’s your sister’s name?”

“Evangeline Fabbro.”

“One minute.” The guard tilted his head for a minute then focused back in on my brother. “The office is that way. Go straight down then make a left.”

“Okay thanks. I drop her off occasionally so do I come in through here every time or…?”

“I’ll give you a pass so the normal gates will open for you and there’ll be an area that says Student Drop Off. You go there. You’ll be able to pick her up there too.” He handed Ty a metal card to put up on the dash. “The gates will automatically open so you can go through.”

Ty pulled through the gate and made his way to the office and parked. “Do want me to pick you up in the Drop Off?”

I shook my head. “Pick me up outside the gates.” I opened the door and looked up at the school for the first time. Ty whistled.

“When people ask you where you go to school you can now officially say you go to Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters.” I snorted but couldn’t help but agree. “You ready?”

Not really, no. “Yeah. Lead the way.”

“Can I help you?” The secretary asked as soon as we stepped inside. I looked at her and saw she was looking more towards my brother. I rolled my eyes and cleared my throat.

“I just transferred in this year. Evangeline Fabbro,” I said.

“Oh yes. We’ve been waiting for you Miss Fabbro. Here’s your schedule and someone will be here shortly to show you around. We made sure they had as close a schedule to you as possible. I just need you to sign in here.” She handed me a piece of paper and turned to my brother and smiled. “And you are?”