2 - Jason's Girlfriend's Mom Pays A Visit

"No way," Percy said. "Do it again. Get me a Nutty Bar."

Jason's hands crackled with electricity as he held them against the vending machine. Percy watched as the Nutty Bar fell to the bottom of the machine. He reached down and grabbed it from the slot, then smiled up at Jason. "Dude, that's probably the best party trick to have ever existed."

Jason shrugged. "It'll come in handy on quests."

"You're telling me," Percy muttered. "I'm going to go pay for the gas."

He left Jason there and went inside and paid. When he went back outside, Jason was already in the Jeep waiting, but not alone.

"Aphrodite," Percy said as he climbed into the driver's seat.

"Perseus," she replied without looking up from her polished nails. She sat in the backseat between boxes of snacks, looking a little uncomfortable with that. "I'm glad I could catch you two boys together."

"Is something wrong?" Jason asked. Percy noticed he looked the slightest bit nervous to be with his girlfriend's mother. Percy could understand that. He couldn't imagine being alone with Athena without Annabeth to back him up.

The goddess ignored his question. "You're both so sweet to your girlfriends. It has been so long since I've seen heroes with such strong love connections."

"If you don't mind," Percy cut in, "it'd be cool if you could rap this up and just tell us what you want. We're actually on our way back to Camp Half-Blood, and I'm sure we both really want to see our girlfriends again."

Aphrodite rolled her eyes. "Always one to cut right to the chase, aren't you? Manners are something I've always respected."

"So what do you see in Ares?" Jason asked, then slapped a hand over his mouth.

For a second Aphrodite's eyes grew intense. Percy was afraid she'd turn Jason into a shrew. But she only put up a hand. "You're a boy. I understand that you don't think much before you speak. Therefore, I will forgive you this time."

She sat up straighter and flipped her hair over her shoulder. It was hard for Percy to look at her because it was such a tease. She looked so much like Annabeth, but only if his girlfriend were in her mid-thirties. He assumed Jason saw the goddess to actually look like the mother of Piper.

"You were correct, Perseus," she continued. "I need to ask a favor of the two of you."

"Gee, there's a surprise," he muttered.

She snapped her fingers. "I suggest you stop testing my patience. Anyway, I've lost something very dear to me. It was a gift from Hephaestus. My mirror."

"You want us to retrieve your mirror?" Jason asked.

"No, Jason. I need you to retrieve my purse. The mirror is inside. It's enchanted, so I advise you not to touch it. It isn't a play-thing."

"How is it enchanted?"

"That is for me to keep a secret. I believe I left it in Colorado at a ski resort. Ares and I were there trying to have a romantic weekend, but Hephaestus decided to ruin our fun again. Sent mechanical flies to scare us off. So as I was saying, I need you to retrieve my purse for me."

"Why should we do that?" Percy questioned.

"Because I am the goddess of love and I can end your relationships with the flick of my wrist."

Jason swallowed. "That's a good enough reason for me." Percy nodded in agreement.

"Great!" Aphrodite beamed. "I will leave a map for you. And remember: Hephaestus is tricky. He'll have traps waiting there for you."